Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Bigger type length than maximum (FIXED/WORKAROUND)

Default RE: Bigger type length than maximum

Actually, we use Oracle all the time, versions 8 through the latest 10.1. and it works fine.

So I looked it up on meta-link... (http://metalink.oracle.com)

8173 Bug 1798042 JDBC Thin gets "Bigger type length than maximum" using DBLink with character set conversion

--> "BIGGER TYPE LENGTH THAN MAXIMUM" OCCURS WHEN SELECT VARCHAR2 DATA VIA DB LINK

Are you using a DB link to read?

Thanks,

Matt

Oh, the workaround mentioned (if you can't read the bug description) is to use the OCI8 driver.
    For this to work, you need to have ocijdbc10 in your path, with the oracle 10 client installed. (sorry about that)
    Or you can keep your 8i installation and install the 8i jdbc driver in the kettle libext/ directory. Make sure to edit the classpath in the .bat and/or .sh files.

Please tell how you're fairing.

Thanks,

Matt

I replaced the packaged oracle jdbc driver (the one for java 1.4) with the old one "classes12.zip" for java 1.2 and this one works fine with our databases

Default Bigger type length than maximum (FIXED/WORKAROUND)

When I try to access our ERP database (Oracle 8), every time I try to access a table I get an exception saying "Bigger type length than maximum".

As far as I know this is caused if a field in a select statement is bigger than 2000 chars I think. The error message appears on every action I try to do with the database, even if I want to just explore the available table names.

This is a serious issue because it makes kettle unusable for us.

ditto - got the error in 1.4 when return a ref cursor. switched to the classes12.zip and it works fine.
    thanks

Default Bigger Type length than maximum

I too was getting the same error 'Bigger Type length than maximum' while connecting to Oracle 8i.Repalced the ojdbc driver in kettle libtext directory with the one of oracle 9i and it works fine.