Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: XML Input Files

Default XML Input Files

Am I just missing the boat entirely? I can't seem to find XML as in input or output. I also can't find the FTP step which you mentioned in the forums.

And I have 2.2.0.

Default RE: XML Input Files

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your unsuccesful boating trip.

XML is on the todo list: if you have anything to suggest on that matter, please join the discussion in the other topic.

The FTP is done with the job editor Chef.

Drag Start and FTP job entries on the canvas and set an (unconditional) link between then.

Good luck,

Matt

P.S. Just for the record: I never claimed that Kettle could read or write XML files. Kettle uses XML extensively throughout the application, but that's as far as it goes at the moment.

Eh. I miss the boat quite often. See my previous bug posting...

Yeah, I was looking for the Todo list you posted on TSS, but I couldn't find it anymore. I think XML is going to be important, but I understand it's going to be tough. I'll post my thoughts in the other topic.

Thanks for the Chef tip.

And I never said that you said Kettle could do XML. I just assumed I guess...

I was wondering if XML Input would be accepted from any source (not just a file) like it can be a field in a Database select query output and that can be plugged in to become the input to the next step.

So in effect you would have a step called XML Input and this would have a sub-step (in GUI or otherwise) that would say whether it is a file or a field or whatever..

-Anoop

Actually, no.

That is, not yet. I know what you're saying, but at this point, the only "Objects" that pass from one step to another are Row objects.

I was thinking of allowing other objects to be exchanged, but then the problem gets pushed towards the steps.

Perhaps it would be easier to extend XMLInput to allow it to read from source steps, you know specify the field to read, etc.

At the moment, I'm going to leave this problem and suggest that you save the XML in a file ;-)

Suggestions for possible solutions are welcome though!

Cheers,

Matt

Actaually, i would like it that way too!

Basically, XML "Input" would become "Parse XML". To not overcomplicate things, it would be fine to just accept only one input field. The step would potentially generate new fields, as well as new rows, and it would be totally transparent with regard to the original source.

For a file, you would need to make a sequence of "Text file input", allow for some nifty output fields definition that allows the entire file to be seen as one row, one field, and feed that into "ParseXML"