Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Database Join - Unexpected Error

Default Database Join - Unexpected Error

I am doing a Database Join Step and I have verified the SQL is working and previewed the output fields. However when I preview the transformation I get the 'No rows found in previewing this step' with the following log:

2006/03/10 10:31:13 - Database join.0 - Starting to run...
    2006/03/10 10:31:13 - Database join.0 - ERROR : Unexpected error in part : <u>-</u>
    2006/03/10 10:31:13 - Database join.0 - ERROR : java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0

Also when I run the transformation I get a totally different error:

2006/03/10 10:33:11 - Database join.0 - ERROR : A database error occurred, stopping everything:
    Error occured while trying to connect to the database

Error connecting to database: (using class sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver)
    Microsoft[img]/wiki/images/newpage.gif[/url]ODBC Driver Manager[img]/wiki/images/newpage.gif[/url] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

2006/03/10 10:33:11 - be.ibridge.kettle.trans.Trans - ERROR : Error initializing step Database join[img]/wiki/images/newpage.gif[/url]
    2006/03/10 10:33:11 - Text file output.0 - Opening output stream in default encoding
    2006/03/10 10:33:11 - be.ibridge.kettle.trans.Trans - ERROR : We failed to initialize at least one step. Execution can not begin!

Database connection test returns OK so I do not have connection issues. This may be a bug with the DB connectio since it is trying to lookup an ODBC even thought a native JDBC URL has been specified. I know the DB connection is setup fine since I can execute queries successfully using the SQL Editor window option on the Connections menu.

Default RE: Database Join - Unexpected Error

Replying to myself in case somebody finds this useful:

Database Join does not work with a preceeding step. I added a Generate Rows step prior to db join and it works fine now.