Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Spoon Logging.

Default Spoon Logging.

I was looking into the logwriter class and i was somewhat confused by what it is doing. Is there a log file that spoon and the other apps write to other than standard out? how is this confiured? Thanks.

--Bo

Default RE: Spoon Logging.

I was suffering from massive performance issues due to logging and i could not figure out why.

I just kind of answered my own question. It looks like log4j never gets initialized so the logging level is default. I am using a library (hibernate) in a plugin that has a whole lot of debug level messages. I added to the init of my plugin setting the logging level to info and now spoon works wonderfully.

Is there any way that you can read log4j info from an xml or properties file when the LogWriter is created? That would be ideal so that I can control third party logging.

Thanks,

Bo

Of-course the logging systems get's initialized, but ONLY for the classes that Kettle uses.

A log4j properties or XML file is **NOT** something I want to burden the Kettle users with so Kettle has its own set of appenders and we have our own layout.

I guess you can always add your own appenders to write to your own logfiles, or use a Log4j Kettle File Appender.
    Any suggestions for a more generic approach. I'm no Log4J expert myself.

All the best,
    Matt

My only thought is that since you use log4j anyway and everything you set up for log4j upon initializing can be done via confuguration files, it would be ideal to be able to use one. That would allow me to configure any additional logging stuff I want. You can provide a file and let users override it. that would make it so no users would be burdened with it, but people writing plugins would have the most flexability. I would be more than willing to give you a configuration file that will do what you would like as well as any code that would be necessary to use it.

On a different note, I noticed that the layouts construct the messages by just doing string1 + string2. You could probably improve this the same way the saving and loading xml was done with string buffers. Also creating the date format once and reusing it would improve performance.

Thanks,

--Bo

Logging configuration in Kettle is dynamically set. So config files seem to be out of the question. However, perhaps we can make log4j load some defaults from an *optional* config file somewhere. Optional because the log4j configuration files are a pain at best and are IMHO not suitable for any type of user. Forget about regular users, I personally hate them with a passion.

The performance tips are indeed usefull, I'll make sure these get changed ASAP.

Thanks again for the tips!

Matt

An optional config file would be best. The only reason I am adamant about this is that kettle is simply unusable for me without settling the log4j level. Maybe if when setting the kettle log level it also propogates back to log4j, that would work as well. For now I have my transformation just set the log level directly since i know it is a problem, but other people may run into this as well if they use third party tools in their plugins.