Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Disable a Step

Default Disable a Step

Can we disable a step? we can disable hops, i just do not know if we can disable steps.

I think( if this is not yet implemented) that this will be helpful. When I mess up with my steps, sometimes, i need to disable some of them. Disabling a step may be more helpful in debugging.

It is like when you disable a step, the step will just act like a dummy or just do nothing.

What do you think?

Default RE: Disable a Step

I think it's a great idea!

;-)

It's a slightly different proposal from what you suggest, but I guess in the end, we need to aim for a solution that is a generic a possible and serves the need of as many people as possible.

Thanks for the feedback!

Matt

I agree, and it would be nice to be able to select multiple steps that could all be disabled at once. It would be the functional equivalent of commenting out source code: often done to test or leave trails of prior code for historical reference.

This is indeed very useful when testing a job or just running a part of your job.
    In other ETL tools there is such an option available and it's so useful.

Bulk disabling of hops downstream or between selected steps is available already.
    I'm not sure that disabling a step without the hops would make a lot of sense actually.

Matt,

Thanks for response. In Talend for example if you disable a step it also disables the hop between the steps. (there is no option to disable the hop)
    Does disabling the hop also disables the step after?

If I for example have a job with a flow that has multiple transformation, if I disable one hop, does this mean nothing gets executed after the disabled hop.

Regards

In a job it would halt execution. A Kettle transformation is a network so if you would have 2 series of connected steps it would start those 2. Only disabling all steps downstream would limit the executing steps, not just disabling one.