Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text File Input

Default Text File Input

Hello,

I'm running some transformations within Spoon that use to work correctly. Now with a recent release of Kettle (2.3.0), I now am being prompted with a Dialog box asking me to "Enter values for the Strings specified below". These strings are system properties that I'm using in the reg-expression as well as path. Regardless of how I respond to the dialog, I end up getting an exception thrown.

What is the purpose of this dialog box and is there away to make it stop showing up.

thanks,

Rich

Default RE: Text File Input

Imagine that, a developer who doesn't know how to file a bug report or even provide a stack trace.
    Well guess what, you no longer have access to the repository.

Let me repeat this again: if you use a development release: file a frigging bug report!

Sjees!

Matt

Matt,

Take some of that positive energy and check the bug report. I did file one. Sorry for just asking a question.

Rich

By the way, there wasn't a stack trace, seems kettle just eats all exceptions. All I asked was why I dialog box was popping up.

http://www.javaforge.com/proj/tracke...avigation=true

All you have to do Matt is just move the mouse and click on the link (use the right mouse button)

Well then, file a frigging stack trace :-)
    The problem is Rich, that I can't re-produce your crash.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Rich,

The thing is, I get an automated message for every bug report that gets filed. So I already tried this situation myself, looked at the code, edited your bug report and asked for the stack trace.

Can you tell us a bit more about the situation in which it occurs then, maybe a (frigging ;-)) piece of XML?
    Otherwise it's difficult to reproduce. Please attach it to your bug report!

Thanks a bunch man!

Matt

Matt,

I've created a very simple transform that reproduces the problem. My question still is "why do I see the dialog box". I've attached it to the bug report that I did open. Again, Kettle is eating the exception. There is no stack trace to post or would have done that. Fix the code/don't fix the code - I didn't write it.

Hi Rich,

The answer is simple really. Because we can now set variables dynamically, we need to have a mechanism of testing it in Spoon. The only solution I could think of was to get a list of all variables used in the transformation and just ask the value you want to use. Variables are "Static" for a single transformation execution anyway.

Thanks to your error.ktr, I now see that we need to filter out those variables that are already defined in System.properties().

I will fix the code tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.
    I guess I'm just disapointed by the fact that I have to ask these same questions over and over again.

All the best,

Matt

Matt,

I realize using the current release comes with possible bugs. I just wasn't sure if this was a bug or not, that was why I posted here as well as openned up a tracker report. From now on, I will just open tracker reports if that is what you want.

Thanks for fixing the problem,

Rich

Hi Rich,

The problem is still that your error.ktr is not giving me any problem.
    Can you update your code-base or get a recent kettle.jar. I worked on this today ;-)

Thanks,

Matt