Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Possible problem with custom transformations called from jobs (KETTLE 2.3)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Possible problem with custom transformations called from jobs (KETTLE 2.3)

Hi

I defined a transformation called Load in the repository root directory. I also defined a job that calls that transformation in one of its steps. The job is also in the root directory of the repository.

When running the job from Chef, it works.

When running the job from Kitchen, I got an error:

Load - Opening transformation: [null] in directory [/]
    Load - ERROR : Unable to open transformation:
    Load - ERROR : The transformation to execute is not specified.

The call to kitchen was:

kitchen.sh -log="execution.log" -level=Basic -rep=MyRepository -user=MyUser -password=MyPassword -job=MyJob -dir=/

I've checked the step calling the transformation, and it has everything specified (the name of the transformation to be called).

Am I doing something wrong?

Catalin

Default RE: Possible problem with custom transformations called from jobs (KETTLE 2.3)

That's weird indeed because technically there is no difference between running a job in chef and in kitchen.
    I'm assuming that this is the latest release? I'll look into it.

Matt

Default RE: Possible problem with custom transformations called from jobs (KETTLE 2.3)

Maybe it has some links with another problem that I can't reproduce completely right now:

If I'm working on the same repository from two different machines, sometimes the Job and Transformation steps in Chef loose their link to the called job or transformation. I don't know to reproduce this yet.

The thing is, if you move a transformation to a different directory or change the name (in the repository or on file), it can't be found anymore. There is a late binding mechanism that loads the transformation when its needed. Maybe this is what you're seeing?

Matt

No. I didn't work with subdirectories.

The funny thing is that I tried with Kitchen 2.2 and there it works...

Version 2.2. uses the ID in the repository to link to a transformation. However, as we're overwriting every time we save, after modification the link is lost.
    So, that's why we're using late binding now. I'll look into the kitchen problem.

Give me some time please :-)

Matt