Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Unclear on results from Combination Lookup

Default Unclear on results from Combination Lookup

Hi Matt,

First thing, I realise that it creates Junk dimensions

However, it seems to be acting differently to what I would expect. If I create a Combination Lookup with 1 field and a technical key, then all is well. If I create a Combination Lookup with 2 fields (in this case, they are simply a mirror of each other e.g. (field1,field1)), then it works well on a run through on initial data. However, when I run that same transform on the same data it dies with an error that it is trying to insert a duplicate entry in the index?

From my understanding, being Junk or otherwise, it should compare the two fields to the incoming record and if identical, then return the technical key. Why then is it trying to insert a record again, or have I missed something here?

Cheers
    Jonathon

Default RE: Unclear on results from Combination Lookup

Why would you want to store mirror columns in a table?

Attach your transformation, or a scaled down version of it which still has the problem and I will have a look at it. I'm curious.

Regards,
    Sven

Indeed. Or how about a drastical shocking solution: if it complains about duplicate fields, rename them. :-)
    But like Sven said, it's difficult to image a use-case for 2 identical fields with the same content and name in a database table...

The situation is quite simple at the moment, the table layout is of the form (id, code, name). The main issue is that at this point in the transform/time, the code is not being used (NULL if you like). Instead, I simply define both fields to take on the value of the 'name' field by using the same stream field value for both table field names. Is this not something that can (or should) be done?

Just so it is clear, 2 identical fields for content, but different names

Jonathon

Well, again Jonathon, if it complains about it, just change the field names, why don't you?
    Put a Select Values in front of it, OK?

Hey, I'm still waiting for an invitation to come over to Australia to fix all your problems.
    How about it?

Oh, I'm sure Sven would love to come along as well.

;-)

Matt

Jonathan,

I just tried a small case and it works for me. Can you post a scaled down version of your problem... I would suggest "text file input" to "Combination Lookup".

If I can't get your problem similuated, I can't help you.

Sven

Well Sven, don't spoil this, I would rather get a couple of plane tickets :-)

Hi Matt,Sven,

OK, my fault here

Although you still don't really get the scenario based on your postings, I found out what was causing the problem. The issue was that the two fields are of different size e.g. one is varchar(255) and the other char(8). This meant that a substring of the first field was stored in the second and based on the SQL query, this returned no match against the whole string which was being compared. Therefor it tried to insert a new record and then complained when the 255 length field had a duplicate entry.

Simple solution was to make the fields identical in length, but not a good long term solution. Instead, I will probably implement it in triggers, or add a step to calculate the substr necessary before the combination lookup.

Matt, as for the trip to Australia, if I can't get the performance of this above 2-300 records/second, I may have to take you up on the offer.

Jonathon