Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Spoon and PostgreSQL - Improper quoting of schema and table

Default Spoon and PostgreSQL - Improper quoting of schema and table

Hello,

I am running into an issue that had seemed to have been addressed by bug report 3923.
    http://www.javaforge.com/proj/tracke...e&task_id=3923

I assume this is somewhat true as "verify" succeeds and tells me everything looks correct. However when I execute my task, it fails on writing to my postgres table and claims that "rep_res.owner_production" (quoted just like that) is not an existing database object. This makes sense to the degree that PostgreSQL would need that quoted like "rep_res"."owner_production" in order to work (if you run the same generated query directly from a pure Postgres client).

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a fix for it?

If this is not a bug and I am doing something wrong please let me know where to look to get this right.

Thank you,
    -C. Boyden

Hi C.,

For that reason alone we have created 2 separate fields in version 2.4.0: Schemaname and Tablename.
    That allows us to do correct quoting. The problem was caused by a couple of ERP software packages that insisted on using table-names with periods (.) in it.
    That leads to the simply conclusion that you can't do proper quoting if you have a single tablename field to analyse.

All the best,

Matt

Default Is what I am doing supposed to work then?

Thank you for the response Matt,

As I understand then, I should be putting the schema name in the schema field, and the table name in the table field, ignoring any seperators and letting Spoon/Kettle handle the rest. If this is correct, this is what I am doing, and while it joins the schema and table name properly (seperated by a '.'; eg: schema.table) for some reason it encases the entire thing in a double quote, such as "schema.table".

Would it work for me if I left schema blank, and in table put: "schema"."table"? I will try that regardless, just making certain I understand how this is supposed to work, versus how it appears to work.

-Curtis

Yeah, that's how it was supposed to work. I think however that we fixed a number of bugs in that area against version 2.4.0.
    I don't know exactly which step you are using, but I would suggest to try the latest milestone to be sure.