Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: SQL Server or MySQL?

Default SQL Server or MySQL?

Apologies for being a bit off topic, but I'm sure that you guys will have an opinion about this.
    We've used SQL Server for quite a while so we know it well and a few of our customers have it too. However, I'm thinking of setting up hosting for some of our clients, mainly for Pentaho BI for reasonably large databases (up to 250,000 new records per day from a Kettle process that runs every 5 minutes). If price was no object and we didn't want anything other than database services for BI (i.e. no MiS Analysis Services, Reporting Services etc - after all that's what Pentaho is for) can anyone think of a good reason to use SQL Server over MySQL.

We're not talking about terabytes of data. But we may get up to 300 BI users (in our dreams) for a single database - it's going to be monitoring delivery of goods by 1200 trucks.

Tim

I'd say that both would probably do you well. It doesn't sound like your requirements are anything special to make a big difference one way or the other.
    I would say it partly depends on if or how much custom development you plan on doing. I haven't used MySQL in a couple years. At that time they were just then coming around to implementing views, subqueries and maybe a procedural language. Their philosophy was to avoid such things in favor of 'simplicity'. But I think they were forced to modernize by competition (maybe by PostrgreSQL). I just didn't like their philosophy at all. However, it was a very fast, reliable and lightweight database.
    SQL server allows you to develop with .NET which is nice, if you're into that sort of thing. Also, SQL Server Express is free.
    If you want to go open source, I think you should also consider Postgres (again, based on knowledge a few years old).

Default DS Volume

you mention the volume of data but not the type of decision support functions that will be used - the complexity and frequency of queries and the size of the result sets.

I don't THINK SQL Server Express will handle the volume (limitation), but I'm not sure.

Of the top, there's no obvious reason to us MS. MySQL will centianly handle the volume.
    Last edited by dogfuel; 05-04-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Cool Beware of serious snags !!!

Our company (an academic HealthCare organization in Southern California) and specifically our DSS department have spent the last 6 months implementing Pentaho(we have support subscription). We opted to go with SS 2005 over MySQL for many different reasons. We are very pleased with the performance of SS 2005. Due to the fact that we have many users who use Access and other MS products within our infrastructure it was decided to go with SQL Server over MySQL. That being said, we do use MySQL for other inhouse pojects both DB's IMHO have their pros and cons. We were having some issues getting SS to work with Kettle but thanks to Matt and the open source community they were able to get the road blocks UNBLOCKED !!!

SS 2005: Writes are a bit slow and meta data takes a while to propagate in kettle. Security needs to be configured just right in order to see other schema containers other than dbo (I lost many hairs over this one.) Sometimes errors aren't clear or just don't show up at all. SS also has a nasty habbit of frequent locks. However SS does support true table partitioning and profiling which are an added bonus if you anticipate their use.

MySQL 5.0/5.1 beta. Works almost flawlessly with Kettle, writes are fast, errors report well and holds a richer set of functions to facilitate DSS reporting.

HTH Darrin
    Last edited by microdisney; 05-14-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Tidy up a bit