Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Caching a query?

Question Caching a query?

Hello,

I'm new to ETL and Pentaho and currently looking at using Pentaho to load data into an Oracle database.

The data I load is in the form of a CSV file and for each row of data I look up whether the database has currently stores the data. If it does I return an id or use a stored procedure to return a new id.

I would like to be able to run a stored procedure/execute a query to retrieve a set of data which I can then reference as I transform each row of the CSV file.

I've tried using a table input/database look up in the transform but this seems to run each time a row is processed. I'd like to run a query, store the dataset and then requery this dataset for each row of the csv file.

Is this possible, or am I barking up the wrong tree here. Any other suggestions to avoid a massively chatty to the db transform?

Many thanks for taking time to read/reply,
    Dan.

Look at http://kettle.pentaho.org/tips/?tip=3 , in your case it's either database lookup or stream lookup (for small quantities) that you to launch queries per row. For executing a query you can use DB Call Procedure step.

Regards,
    Sven

Thank you for your reply it was most helpful.

I've been playing around with the Database lookup but have two issues with it.

1) I need to execute a query and not have to compare values to another table. I'd like to select rows within one table with a where clause on two values. No other table invloved.
    2) Database lookups require input from a previous step, so I've tried to use the generation of a row as an input step. This appears limited as I need to generate enough rows to cover the query (which I don't know at this first step).

I know I'm being really stupid here, any pointers on how I can essentially run a query, cache the result so I can requery the result in following steps?

Many thanks for your time and patience
    Dan

Default For completeness.

I've worked out what I was doing wrong, I approached the problem by attempting a query and then referencing the query as a disconnected dataset.

By using the merging functions I've been able to build up a table that maps well and isn't chatty to the database.

Its a change of mindset from coding to transforms.

Dan.