Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delete file step fails in Kitchen

Question Delete file step fails in Kitchen

Hi all,

Let me start by saying that I'm a big fan of Kettle and congrats on a fantastic project.

I've created a job that holds a few transformations that create some tables, do a query and create an Excel file. Finally I send the Excel file by mail, drop the temp tables and delete the created Excel file.

Now when I run the job through the Spoon GUI everything seems to work as expected. When I run the same job through Kitchen it cannot seem to delete the Excel file.

I'm running Kettle 2.5.0 on a Windows 2000 Adv. Server (!)

Has anybody experienced the same problem? Any thoughts on solving it?

TIA

Arie

Perhaps it would be easier if you posted the error message.

Default Error message

Point taken. Following is the error message.

2007/05/10 10:09:03 - Delete file 1 - ERROR (version 2.5.0, build 25002 from 2007/05/04 00:20:04) : Could not delete file [file:///C:/temp/testfile_070510.xls], exception: Could not delete "file:///C:/temp/testfile_070510.xls".

In addition to my previous post: this error happened while running the job in the Spoon GUI so the problem doesn't seem to be limited to Kitchen.

FYI: the filename is set with a "Set environment variables" step and then used as a env variable in the "Delete file" step.

Do you have permissions to delete the file?
    Is the file owned by another user on the system?

I run Spoon under my account and the file is created with myself as owner. That account is also member of the administrators group. Since I can also delete the file manually I doubt this is an authorisation issue.

I have noticed in the past that I was unable to delete a file created by Spoon (with another job/transformation) but at that time I got an error message saying the file was in use. After shutting down Spoon I was able to delete the file manually.

Could the current issue be caused by the file being locked in some way by one ot the previous steps?

It might be, yes. In that case, we have another bug to fix.
    Is the file created with the "Excel Output" step?

Yes it is.

Would you like me to post a test job so you can try to reproduce the problem?

Yes, absolutely.

I checked the source code and it does seem like we close the file approriately.
    Please note that if you open the file with any program it will be impossible to delete the file under Windows.

Ok added the job and two transformations as attachment. I changed the source for the data to a "Get system info" step (so there are no connections needed)

Of course you will have to change the e-mail adresses and server to match your test environment.

HTH
    Attached Files Attached Files