Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: MDX based charts don't pass the correct drill param

Default MDX based charts don't pass the correct drill param

I've been able to create all kind of charts using regular SQL and MDX queries for the data retrieval. The problem occurs when I want to create a drillable chart. When this chart retrieves its data from an MDX query it always appends the parameter name.

In my JSP I set the drill-url and the inner-param parameters, but when I click on the link it creates a url like dashboard?param1=IT%7DEPARTMENT . It doesn't matter if the chart is a Pie or a Line chart. The strange thing is, it only occurs on the MDX queries.

Anybody got a solution for my problem?

Default MDX for Dashboard

Hi bjornmonnens,

Can you please guide me through the steps to generate dashboards using MDX queries.

Thanks in Advance

Santosh

Default PCI Home page appears to show the same problem

This issue is a big downer since most of the dash I'm trying to configure uses MDX.

Looks like we may need to regex the strings somehow unless

Did you find any solution/help on this topic?

Have you tried Ingo Klose's dashboard framework?

http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/COM/...ho+BI+Platform

Since his implementation uses AJAX, you can grab the parameter, use JS to get the part that's useful, and pass it along.

Not the fanciest of solutions, but it's working for me until the issue gets solved..

By now, what I'm doing is to use JS in the XACTION that is called when a drill occurs to "clean up" the value (it's easy since the value is sent in VALUE|NAME form).

According to :
    http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=57253
    there is no workaround yet for this bug.

I'll try Ingo's framework. Have you tried the framework with SecureFilters (Prompt for parameters) in a dashboard?

Juan.

I haven't tried secure filters with the Dashboard, but if you give me an idea on the scenario you want to build, I'll give it a try. I have the framework running so It'll only take a couple of minutes, and I know for a fact that eventually I'll need to do that in my application anyway...

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply.

SCENARIO:

The dashboard needs to be "Parameter based".

It is composed by 4 charts and 1 report.
    The 1st and 2nd chart need to be shown depending on the parameters selected by the user.
    For example:
    1. Select parameter YEAR, PRODUCT LINE
    2. Chart1: Sales per YEAR, PRODUCT LINE
    3. Chart2: Budget per YEAR, PRODUCT LINE
    4. Drill on Chart1 --> Chart 3
    etc....

is that possible? I mean: to have just one page in order to offer different views (depending on parameters) to users?

Well, there seems to be no direct way to do it. If one of the chart xactions has a SecureFilter, the filter gets displayed, but you don't get the chart after clicking on the button. I guess this would require some research on the AJAX API...

Since I didn't have the time to look into the API in my app I just added a couple of HTML select boxes fed via an AJAX, and used Javascript to send the values to the chars as parameters. Not as fancy as it would be with the xactions approach, but it works and it's not hard at all if you're familiar with HTML/Javascript.

Once you parametrize the first two charts, the drilling down to other charts is managed by the framework, and works like a charm.

Cheers!

Default problem whit drill paramenters

I have some problem when i renderer my chart report in my jsp, because the text identifier the parts of the chart component is separated so I am not that I do to fix it
    Chash Receipts <---- in the Data Base
    Chash%20%20%20Receipts <---- in some parts of the chart component
    Please help me
    Last edited by Miguel1601; 12-04-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Default question

how do u pass the MDX field/data to the drill URL?

its not straight forward with like sql where all u have to do is {column_name} to get the info... any suggestions since it sounds like u guys are past that..

and with regards with passing the correct drill param... if ur using the Framework 2 do it... i'm sure there are some js functions u can use to extract the value from the mdx info
    Last edited by smilez2k7; 01-08-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Original message

By now, what I'm doing is to use JS in the XACTION that is called when a drill occurs to "clean up" the value (it's easy since the value is sent in VALUE|NAME form).

According to :
    http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=57253
    there is no workaround yet for this bug.

I'll try Ingo's framework. Have you tried the framework with SecureFilters (Prompt for parameters) in a dashboard?

Can you help me? I have this problem when I do a mdx query, value|name like this: sample?time=2008|tiempo I need time=2008 and i don't know how to ge it, what changes i have to do and where, there is any form to ge it?

thenks

sorry for my english