Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Can't get the sample portal dashboard to work

Default Can't get the sample portal dashboard to work

Hello all,

i am reading through the documentation, specifically the dashboard building guide as i am trying to build my own portal dashboard, i have followed all the steps in the tutorial but i still can't get my filter to work....here's the error log:

5-20 23:48:30,109 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Opening new Session for this thread.
    2007-05-20 23:48:30,109 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Closing Session of this thread.
    2007-05-20 23:48:30,390 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Starting new database transaction in this thread.
    2007-05-20 23:48:30,390 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Opening new Session for this thread.
    2007-05-20 23:48:30,390 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Committing database transaction of this thread.
    2007-05-20 23:48:30,390 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Closing Session of this thread.
    2007-05-20 23:48:30,406 ERROR [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] Error: Pentaho 1.5.3 build 660 0
    2007-05-20 23:48:30,406 ERROR [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] misc-org.pentaho.core.util.XmlHelper: XmlHelper.ERROR_0014 - Failed to parse XML document in FileInputStream: <filters xmlns:xf="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms"><id></id><title><![CDATA[]]></title><description></description><help></help><action><![CDATA[/portal/auth/portal/pentaho/Simple%20Dashboard/SimpleFilterPanelPortletWindow?action=d&windowstate=normal&mode=view]]></action></xf:instance><xf:submission action="" separator="&amp;" method="urlencoded-get" id="null" /></xf:model></head></filters>
    org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 1 of document : The element type "filters" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</filters>". Nested exception: The element type "filters" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</filters>".

at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:482)
    at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:343)

has anyone gotten the dashboard portal tutorial to work?
    if so please tell me if something else, not mentioned in the documentation needs to be done, or if i am missing something, although i have followed the tutorial step by step i even downloaded a new PCI, but still i haven't been able to get it to work...

thank you all, hope you can help me...

Roger Marin

can anyone help me? i don't understand i have tried everything but it seems that my custom filters wont work, if i try changing the filter defined in the portlet.xml file
    to another alredy defined filter like samples/portal/panel1.filterpanel.xml it will show up but everytime i try to add a custom filter it gives me an error as if it doesn't find it...where exactly do i need to define my
    filters besides portlet.xml, portlet-instances.xml and pentaho-portal-object.xml?

here are my filter definitions
    in portlet.xml:

<portlet>
    <portlet-name>SimpleFilterPanelPortlet</portlet-name>
    <portlet-class>
    org.pentaho.ui.portlet.FilterPanelPortlet
    </portlet-class>
    <supports>
    <mime-type>text/html</mime-type>
    <portlet-mode>VIEW</portlet-mode>
    </supports>
    <resource-bundle>
    org.pentaho.locale.portlet
    </resource-bundle>
    <portlet-info>
    <title>SimpleFilterPanelPortlet</title>
    </portlet-info>
    <portlet-preferences>
    <preference>
    <name>filters</name>
    <value>
    samples/simpleDashboard/simple-dashboard.filterpanel.xml
    </value>
    </preference>
    </portlet-preferences>
    </portlet>

in portlet-instances.xml:

<deployment>
    <if-exists>overwrite</if-exists>
    <instance>
    <instance-id>SimpleFilterPanelPortletInstance</instance-id>
    <portlet-ref>SimpleFilterPanelPortlet</portlet-ref>
    <security-constraint>
    <policy-permission>
    <role-name>User</role-name>
    <action-name>view</action-name>
    </policy-permission>
    </security-constraint>
    </instance>
    </deployment>

in pentaho-portal-object.xml:

<!-- Specification of window containing the filter panel portlet -->
    <window>
    <window-name>SimpleFilterPanelPortletWindow</window-name>
    <instance-ref>SimpleFilterPanelPortletInstance</instance-ref>
    <region>left</region>
    <height>0</height>
    </window>

where else do i need to define my filter? this is driving me nuts i've been trying for 2 days already and i haven't been able to get it to work what am i missing!!!
    please please help me!!!!

thank you!

Roger Marin

Default Need more info

Hi -
    Can you post your simple-dashboard.filterpanel.xml file?

Thanks.

Darrin

Default where can i download pentaho dashboard software?

hi all,

im new in pentaho...could someone help me where could i download dashboard software?what is the software name?

i cant create new post..so, i just reply here..and hopes someone can help me on this matter...

thanks..

Cool No special software needed

Hi -
    There is no dashboard software (not yet anyway). It is not needed. Well, ok I guess you will need at the very least eclipse and the design studio plugin or if you don't have eclipse then just download the entire design studio. Take a gander at some of the docs regarding building dashboards with Jsp's etc. There is also a very nice tutorial on buiding portal dashboards here. If you're looking for a "click and presto you're done" solution, then you are in the wrong eisle. The express lane is down the way.

Darrin
    Last edited by microdisney; 06-03-2007 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Added links to help this poor chap

Hi Darrin,

Thanks for the quick and good respond. It seem like can help me a lot in understanding pentaho in creating dashboard.

encikbakar.