Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: New to Pentaho

Question New to Pentaho

Hi,

I'm looking to use Pentaho for a reporting and analysis project. I'm a bit confused, and I wonder if someone can help me with a real newbie question:

what's the difference between just using Pentaho and using BIRT or JFreeReports?

I basically am planning to build a MySQL database and provide a web-based user interface to query and analyse that data, and also to provide graphs and charts of the data. Do I just need Pentaho, or do I need BIRT and / or JFreeReports as well?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for asking such a dumb question!

A slightly more advanced question: if I provide the ability to produce graphs from the user interface, is it possible to have those graphs automatically be linked into a Word document? In other words, if a user chooses a graph to produce, can they put that graph into a MS Word document and have it linked so that if the data in the MySQL database changes, the graph in the Word document also changes? (Even with some kind of manual refresh, but without having to go back and regenerate all the graphs)?

Ben

Default Have I asked this question in the wrong forum?

Hi,

I've a feeling I may have asked this question in the wrong forum, in which case I apologise. If so, could someone point me in the direction of the right forum? Or am I just being impatient...?

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

what's the difference between just using Pentaho and using BIRT or JFreeReports? Do I just need Pentaho, or do I need BIRT and / or JFreeReports as well?
    Pentaho is sometimes called "the platform." It integrates different business intelligence technologies into one web-based interface. The BIRT and JFreeReport libraries are provided when you download the platform. The platform uses these libraries for report generation.

is it possible to have those graphs automatically be linked into a Word document?
    I would research object linking in Word for this. I don't have any experience here.

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mlowery View Post
    I'll try to answer some of your questions.
    This is really helpful - thanks!

Ben