Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Bugs in Cubedesigner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Bugs in Cubedesigner

Hi,

I recently downloaded and Installed Cubedesigner 0.7.2.0 on both Windows XP and (Ubuntu Feisty Fawn) Linux

On windows I encountered 1 issue:
    - creating a datasource with a space in the JNDI name succeeds. Datasource is stored on file but does not show up in the gui after closing and restarting the cube designer

On linux, I found two issues:
    - last step of the wizard, "View XML" -> does not work. Cursor changes to indicate waiting, but a window never opens. Could not locate log file to research this issue
    - last step of the wizard, Save XML file -> does not work. Files are never written, and no error message appears. Unlikely to be a permission problem (occurs when starting with sudo ./CubeDesigner
    - adding a new datasource: the dialog should stay on top of the wizard. when changing windows or desktop, the dialog to create a new datasource can fall beneath the much bigger wizard window, initially it appears as if the wizard hangs whereas it is only blocking because the data source dialog needs input.

I did not encounter these issues on windows.
    kind regards,
    kind regards,

Roland Bouman
    http://rpbouman.blogspot.com/
    @rolandbouman on twitter
    Author of "Pentaho Solutions" (Wiley, ISBN: 978-0-470-48432-6)
    Author of "Pentaho Kettle Solutions" (Wiley, ISBN: 978-0-470-63517-9)

Thanks Roland, I'll get those entered in.

If you have a chance, take a look at the Mondrian Workbench as well. Any feedback you have about what you like or dislike about these projects is greatly appreciated!

-Jake

Wink Regarding Workbench

Hi Jake,

thanks for the reply! I just downloaded workbench, and gave it a first go...

First of all, I works pretty good! I thought swing applications went out of fashion but I really honestly like this tool!

A few findings:

1) No drivers directory, and no drivers shipped with the tool. Bug?
    (see also http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=54406)

2) In the connection dialog, the password shows...I know it will be stored in the schema xml fille, but still...it feels wrong that you can just plain see what password I typed in there.

3) In the treeview beneath a CUbe there is always a table. Now I know it is not of much practical use for serious analytic solutions, but I would like to be able to specify a view in the property list. Maybe it is possible, but the drop down list suggests you can only add (base) tables. Obviously, the Icon and caption can just stay as it is ("Table") but I can imagine I would like to use a view occasionally.

4) Can't I build joins? I know you would normally use this agains a proper star database schema, but what I am currently dealing with a few people that do not have something like that. I would like to quickly demonstrate how powerful analytics are on a small portion of their data, but I am already defeated it I have to tell them that we need to build a DW before I can show them why they need one.

{EDIT} Yeah, to add a JOIN, you have to *double click* on the table icon beneath the Hierarchy node. I expected a context menu, but that just is not how it works

5) This is maybe more a mondrian thing - but I would really like to be able to specify a query inside the Schema instead of a table. Same reson as point 4. For example, I have a table with just a datetime...I want to quickly pretend we have a proper date dimension in place, so I would have to tell mondrian to use year(datetime), month(datetime) etc. as levels of the hierarchy...it's kinda troublesome to explain to the customer that I first need to rebuild their database so I can show how cool this really is.

{EDIT} 6 BUG!

I can establish a connection using the menu: Tools > Preferences. However, if I open a cube, I get an alert that tells me no connection can be established. From the error message it looks like the username is not used to connect this time (I see an empty string instead of the user name) . The user name really is stored by Workbench, and all settings in Tools > Preferences. are preserved (even after closing workbench)

{new EDIT} It looks like this problem occurs only for the MySQL "root" user.

{EDIT} 7 Bug!
    I have 3 or so dimension. I edit them, one at the time. So I expand the dimension, expand a hierarchy and then edit a property, say the name of a level. I then collapse the hierarchy node. When I proceed to the following dimension, expand that and then edit something, the prior dimension nodes have the habit of expanding. This means I have to scroll down back to the dimestion I was actually editing.

my 2 ct.

kind regards,
    Last edited by Roland.Bouman; 06-10-2007 at 04:35 PM.
    kind regards,

Roland Bouman
    @rolandbouman on twitter

Hi Jake,

I just gave CubeDesigner another spin and now the "View XML" functionality did work for me (on Linux). I'll keep an eye on it and try to discover if there is a particular reason why it did not work for me the first time round.
    kind regards,

Roland Bouman
    @rolandbouman on twitter