Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Danish characters mess up action sequence

Unhappy Danish characters mess up action sequence

If I use danish characters 'æ', 'ø' or 'å' inside an xaction file, I get the following error from the ViewAction servlet:

Error: SolutionEngine.ERROR_0005 - Action sequence not valid (org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine)

in the log it says this:

org.dom4j.DocumentException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence. Nested exception: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.

I'm certain that the danish characters are valid UTF-8 characters, so I suspect either something goes wrong parsing the XML - or writing it!

Cool Ensure file is saved with given encoding

Hello,
    I experienced the same problem.
    When I used special(non-ASCII) characters like č ř ž in xaction file, then attempt to run this action file resulted in error you described.

Problem occures even when this characters are used inside <![CDATA[]]> section. (eg. if you set default value of some input) CDATA section should be ignored by parser, which is true. But encoding of characters in CDATA section still must match declared encoding.

Ensure, that xaction file is saved with UTF-8 encoding.

Are you using PentahoDesignStudio? Or Eclipse IDE?

Make sure, that Eclipse saves the xaction file as utf-8, because Eclipse uses the locale by default . (which I belive is not utf-8 in your case )

Hope this helps

Default possible defect

I am looking into this. It looks like we may have a defect in our XML parsing code where the code does not respect the character encoding specified in the XML processing instruction in the xml document (eg <?xml ... encoding='UTF-8'?>).

If I have properly reproduced your problem, I have checked in what I believe is a fix. Please get the latest nightly build at:
    ftp://download.pentaho.org/server/1.5.5.0/build_<BIGGEST_NUMBER>/pentaho_demo_hsqldb-1.5.5.736-0.zip

Or which ever download is appropriate for your project. This build must be dated after 7/2/07.

Please let me know if this resolves your problem.

If you are working with a build earlier than 1.5, please let me know, and I'll have to come up with an alternative solution.
    Last edited by sbarkdull; 07-02-2007 at 02:13 PM.