Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Desperately need example of using secure filter result in MDX query

Question Desperately need example of using secure filter result in MDX query

We're using Pentaho Analysis 2.2.2. How does one pass the user's chosen value from a secure filter, say a company number, on to an MDX query in an action sequence to filter the result accordingly? Does it work in 2.2.2 and/or 2.3.2 and if so, how? I've looked and looked for answers, but to know avail. The question comes up time and again in the forum, but remains unanswered. We and others here in the forum need a how-to for this.

Thanks.
    Ralph

wgorman Guest

To see how parameters are passed into the MDXLookupRule and PivotViewComponent components, check out these two examples in Pentaho's example solution repository:

MDXLookupRule Example:
    steel-wheels/homeDashboard/topnmdxquery.xaction

PivotViewComponent Example:
    samples/analysis/query1.xaction

First, an action input is defined in the component xml. Second, as part of the MDX query, a reference to the action input is specified via "{ACTION_INPUT_NAME}". These values are resolved and then passed into Mondrian.

For an example of a secure filter passing action output's to another component, take a look at this example:
    steel-wheels/reports/Sales_by_Product.xaction

Here is some documentation on secure filters on our wiki:
    http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/Pent...28Prompting%29

Hope that helps!

Will

Thanks for the tips, Will. I know about secure filters, but never got the {my-selected-value-from-the-filter} to work with mdx. I'll immediately take a look at the two examples you suggest.
    Ralph

Will's suggestions were the most useful and I got it to work. The selected value from the secure filter, in our case the company number, can be used in the Pivot view/mdx query, for example in the WHERE clause like this : ..WHERE ([Company].[All Companies].[{selectedCompany}]). If it's used in the WHERE, then it can't be also listed in the ROWS clause, otherwise JPivot throws an error. It can be listed in the ROWS clause like .., [Company].[All Companies].[{selectedCompany}], ... and not in the WHERE, which results in the selected value being shown like a constant in the JPivot table.

Thanks again, Will!
    Ralph