Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho Server falls each night ..

Thumbs down Pentaho Server falls each night ..

Hello all,

Since I have deployed Pentaho into an production environment, the server falls each night (somewhere during the night) and I do not know how to find out the reason

Some jobs are planned at 10:00 PM ... and they run fine ... but in the morning when I come to the office and try to log access Pentaho, I get the login page with an error message "can not load the template .." (or something similar) on the login page and at this moment, I can see on the console that the server is broken... I just have to stop it and then restart it ... (stop-pentaho.bat ... and then start-pentaho.bat)

Some ideas ?

I had never noticed this previously, in the development environment as I never let it run all the night in this environment

How can I track the problem ?

Please help, this is critical for a production environment

I'm running PCI 1.5.2 build 626

Best regards
    Odyssee

Please attach compressed server/default/log/server.log.

Hi Mlowery,

Thanks for your interest;

I am currently on holidays but I will be able to attach logs next week.
    However, as far as I can remember, there is nothing special within it; the last trace I get is related to jobs planned at 10 PM and they run fine.

When I try to access Pentaho homepage, errors are shown on the console, but are not traced in the server.log file; as I have to restart Pentaho, another server.log file is automatically created and contains only information since this restart.
    I am wondering if there is something to do with some parameters set in log4j.xml within which I can see this :

<!-- Rollover at midnight each day -->
    <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd"/>

Thanks in advance for your return
    Regards
    Odyssee

Actually I've got the same problem with my pentaho (pentaho_j2ee_deployments-1.5.3.660-0.zip) on a Tomcat server.

Every night, my pentaho server falls and I've the error "Template could not be loaded" on the homepage ...

please ? has anybody got an idea ?
    Last edited by joke4028; 07-12-2007 at 04:16 AM. Reason: the logs don't show any particular error .. wait tomorrow and I'll be able to show it to you :)

Any idea about this problem ?

Thanks you, Joke4028, for your testimony; how do you solve it ?

At first, I thought it is a bug in the 1.5.2 version and then I download and install 1.5.5 747 but the problem is remaining !!!!

I confirm that there is no trace in the server.log after Kettle jobs traces (Kettle jobs are last actions the server execute in the day at around 9 or 10 PM)

Joke4028, do you also have jobs running in the night ?

Regards
    Odyssee

The point is that I don't have any jobs running during the night.
    I simply lock the computer where the server is hosted a 7pm and the following morning, I've got the error "Template Could Not be Found" on the login page.
    After restarting Tomcat everything works fine, but I don't know where does this problem come from ...

has anybody an idea ?

There are no errors during the night, but on the first log on the morning, I've got these errors in my server.log.
    And I saw that I haddn't define a solution repository in the Pentaho.xml file.
    Is this the path to the solution directory ? Anything else ?

Code:
    2007-07-24 10:20:57,640 INFO  [com.pentaho.repository.dbbased.solution.SolutionRepository] Solution Repository name not defined in Pentaho.xml node solution-repository/db-repository-name
    2007-07-24 10:20:58,968 ERROR [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] Communications link failure due to underlying exception: 

** BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION ** 

java.io.EOFException

STACKTRACE:

java.io.EOFException
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.readFully(MysqlIO.java:1963)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.reuseAndReadPacket(MysqlIO.java:2375)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2874)
        [....]
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

** END NESTED EXCEPTION **

Last packet sent to the server was 47 ms ago.
    2007-07-24 10:20:58,968 ERROR [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] Error: Pentaho 1.5.2 build 625 0
    2007-07-24 10:20:58,968 FATAL [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] misc-org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem: PentahoSystem.ERROR_0013 - [fr_73] Could not create object com.pentaho.repository.dbbased.solution.SolutionRepository
    org.hibernate.exception.JDBCConnectionException: could not execute query
        at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.convert(SQLStateConverter.java:74)
        at org.hibernate.exception.JDBCExceptionHelper.convert(JDBCExceptionHelper.java:43)
      [....]
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure due to underlying exception: 

java.io.EOFException

STACKTRACE:

java.io.EOFException
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.readFully(MysqlIO.java:1963)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.reuseAndReadPacket(MysqlIO.java:2375)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2874)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1623)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1715)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:3249)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.java:1268)
        at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:1403)
      [....]
        at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:662)
        at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:224)
        at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2145)
        ... 79 more
    2007-07-24 10:20:58,968 ERROR [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] Error end:
    2007-07-24 10:20:58,968 ERROR [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] misc-org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem: PentahoSystem.ERROR_0005 - [fr_70] Could not create ISolutionRepository implementor
    2007-07-24 10:20:58,968 DEBUG [com.pentaho.security.SecurityUtils] principal from IPentahoSession: null
    2007-07-24 10:20:58,968 DEBUG [com.pentaho.security.SecurityUtils] either principal is null or user has no roles
    2007-07-24 10:20:58,968 DEBUG [com.pentaho.security.SecurityUtils] there is no principal in IPentahoSession
    2007-07-24 10:20:58,968 DEBUG [com.pentaho.security.SecurityUtils] and allowAnonymous is false
    Last edited by joke4028; 07-24-2007 at 05:04 AM.

Yeaaaaaah !!

Hi Joke !

I have EXACTLY the same message on the console in the morning ...

and I'm also using MySQL 5 ... maybe this is the root of the problem ? if someone is running MySQL too in a production environment, his testimony would be appreciated

Regards
    Odyssee

dmoran Guest

Hey guys,

It sounds like the connection to the database is is going stale - maybe a connection pool issue. There are many versions of the PCI that make it through the night ok - so there must be something different about your setup. It sounds like you are both using Tomcat which we don't use internally. We do use MySQL 5 without problems.

Please post your configuration:

AppServer and version
    Database and version
    DB driver and version

...and anything else you think might be useful like the database goes off line every night for backups etc

Doug

hi everyone,

i had a similar issue a couple of months ago, and it turn to be a firewall problem. you certainly wonder how?

well here is what happen:

the Web Container was 5.0.28 Tomcat @ debian
    the DB server was MySQL @ debian

the Web Container was located in a more or less a DMZ and the DB Server was an internal resource so it was behind a firewall,
    normally people are using the web container by day at office time etc which implies an active connection to the db server.

but at night when everyone goes home the firewall drops the connection because of inactivity it took me 3 weeks to find that one out
    i solved it with a dummy valid query that runs once every 25 min "select now();" since the firewall was having that rule "hardcoded"

good luck
    Yassine
    join us @ freenode ##pentaho

Hi all

Thanks you very much !!!!!

Yassine, I will check with network admin if we are in the same configuration as what you are describing

Doug, at firt I ran PCI 1.5.2 build 626 and then I migrate to PCI 1.5.5 build 747 with the preconfigured version of JBoss

My Database is MySQL 5.0 with the related driver JDBC version 5.0.5

Regards
    Odyssee

Are you by any chance using com.mysql.jdbc.ReplicationDriver? There's a problem with using that driver together with DBCP--DBCP can only validate the current connection. Please post your driver config.

Hi Mlowery,

the driver is mysql-connector-java-5.0.5-bin.jar; and I don't use com.mysql.jdbc.ReplicationDriver, just com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

Thanks and best regards
    Odyssee

Hi everyone

I'm also using the same version of mysql connector and no using the ReplicationDriver at all.
    I'll try also a latter or an older version of the mysql connector (maybe a bug ?).
    I will also check the solution Yassine gave, and if this solves my problem I shall really thank him

this problem 's been bugging me for a while ...

Whatever, thanks for your help !

See here for an excellent overview of all the options available when configuring Commons Pool-based DBCP along with MySQL.

So based on that reference, let's try the following.

In hibernate.cfg.xml, add or edit the following lines:

Code:
    hibernate.dbcp.initialSize=8
    hibernate.dbcp.validationQuery=SELECT 1
    hibernate.dbcp.testOnBorrow=true
    hibernate.dbcp.testWhileIdle=true
    hibernate.dbcp.minIdle=4
    hibernate.dbcp.timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis=600000
    hibernate.dbcp.numTestsPerEvictionRun=3
    hibernate.dbcp.minEvictableIdleTimeMillis=7200000
    Finally, make sure that autoReconnect is not part of your JDBC URL.

Well thanks for this point you've made, but I'm sorry to write here that it doesn't work
    Here is my hibernate.cfg.xml file, hope you'll find something creepy

Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
    <!DOCTYPE hibernate-configuration
      PUBLIC "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Configuration DTD//EN"
      "http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-configuration-3.0.dtd">
    <hibernate-configuration>
      <session-factory>

<property name="cache.provider_class">org.hibernate.cache.HashtableCacheProvider</property>

<!--  MySQL Configuration -->
        <property name="connection.driver_class">com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</property>
        <property name="connection.url">jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/hibernate</property>
        <property name="dialect">org.pentaho.repository.MySQL5InnoDBDialect</property>
        <property name="connection.username">hibuser</property>
        <property name="connection.password">password</property>
        <property name="connection.pool_size">10</property>
        <property name="show_sql">false</property>
        <property name="hibernate.jdbc.use_streams_for_binary">true</property>

<property name="hibernate.dbcp.initialSize">8</property>
        <property name="hibernate.dbcp.validationQuery">SELECT 1</property>
        <property name="hibernate.dbcp.testOnBorrow">true</property>
        <property name="hibernate.dbcp.testOnReturn">false</property>
        <property name="hibernate.dbcp.testWhileIdle">true</property>
        <property name="hibernate.dbcp.minIdle">4</property>
        <property name="hibernate.dbcp.timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis">54000000</property>
        <property name="hibernate.dbcp.numTestsPerEvictionRun">3</property>
        <property name="hibernate.dbcp.minEvictableIdleTimeMillis">54000000</property>

</session-factory>
    </hibernate-configuration>
    My configuration :
    Tomcat 5.5
    Easy Php 2.0 with Mysql 5.0.22
    Last edited by joke4028; 08-01-2007 at 04:33 AM.

I don't see the following line in your hibernate.cfg.xml which is required in order to take advantage of these new settings.

Code:
    <property name="hibernate.connection.provider_class">org.hibernate.connection.DBCPConnectionProvider</property>

oki, this line wasn't in the file, and now it is, I've got the error all the time ("Template could not be loaded")

Here's the stack :

Code:
    2007-08-01 18:05:26,204 ERROR [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] Error: Pentaho 1.5.2 build 625 0
    2007-08-01 18:05:26,204 FATAL [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] misc-org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem: PentahoSystem.ERROR_0013 - [fr_73] Could not create object com.pentaho.repository.dbbased.solution.SolutionRepository
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil
        at com.pentaho.repository.dbbased.solution.SolutionRepository.getRootSolutionFolder(SolutionRepository.java:1425)
        at com.pentaho.repository.dbbased.solution.SolutionRepository.init(SolutionRepository.java:198)
        at com.pentaho.repository.dbbased.solution.SolutionRepository.<init>(SolutionRepository.java:172)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.createObject(PentahoSystem.java:1192)
        at org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.createObject(PentahoSystem.java:1215)
        at org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.getSolutionRepository(PentahoSystem.java:1113)
        at org.pentaho.core.util.UIUtil.getTemplate(UIUtil.java:98)
        at org.pentaho.core.util.UIUtil.breakTemplate(UIUtil.java:110)
        at org.apache.jsp.jsp.Login_jsp._jspService(Login_jsp.java:115)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:334)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
        at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:264)
        at org.acegisecurity.intercept.web.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:107)
        at org.acegisecurity.intercept.web.FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:72)
        at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:274)
        at org.acegisecurity.ui.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:110)
        at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:274)
        at org.acegisecurity.ui.switchuser.SwitchUserProcessingFilter.doFilter(SwitchUserProcessingFilter.java:335)
        at com.pentaho.security.SecurityStartupFilter.doFilter(SecurityStartupFilter.java:73)
        at org.acegisecurity.providers.anonymous.AnonymousProcessingFilter.doFilter(AnonymousProcessingFilter.java:125)
        at org.acegisecurity.ui.rememberme.RememberMeProcessingFilter.doFilter(RememberMeProcessingFilter.java:135)
        at com.pentaho.security.RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.java:160)
        at org.acegisecurity.ui.basicauth.BasicProcessingFilter.doFilter(BasicProcessingFilter.java:178)
        at org.acegisecurity.ui.AbstractProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractProcessingFilter.java:217)
        at org.acegisecurity.ui.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:108)
        at com.pentaho.security.HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.java:142)
        at org.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:193)
        at org.acegisecurity.wrapper.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:81)
        at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:148)
        at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterToBeanProxy.doFilter(FilterToBeanProxy.java:98)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
        at org.pentaho.core.system.SystemStatusFilter.doFilter(SystemStatusFilter.java:53)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:432)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
    2007-08-01 18:05:26,204 ERROR [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] Error end:
    2007-08-01 18:05:26,204 ERROR [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] misc-org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem: PentahoSystem.ERROR_0005 - [fr_70] Could not create ISolutionRepository implementor
    2007-08-01 18:05:26,204 DEBUG [com.pentaho.security.SecurityUtils] principal from IPentahoSession: null

Any other idea ?

Are you using the pre-configured install (aka demo) or building the WAR or EAR using the Ant script? Can you look in pentaho.war/WEB-INF/lib/pentaho-repository-1.x.x.jar for the HibernateUtil? class?

I'm using pentaho_j2ee_deployments-1.5.3.660-0, building a pentaho.war for Mysql 5 as described in the tutorial, with the ant script, and I've got the HibernateUtil.class in my pentaho-repository-1.5.3.jar.
    Last edited by joke4028; 08-03-2007 at 03:38 AM.

So I got the exact build that you're using and ran all the WAR targets. Then I made sure that HibernateUtil existed once and only once in the WAR. Can you send your full server.log?

Doing some research, I found this page in the JBoss wiki. It enumerates some of the causes of NoClassDefFoundError.

• What Java runtime version are you using?
    • In server.log, is there an ExceptionInInitializerError preceding the NoClassDefFoundError? What is its root cause?

Hi,

Before answering to your questions, I would like to thank you for looking for the cause of my problem.

My JDK version is this one : "jdk-6-windows-i586.exe"
    I will prepare a good server.log for you for tomorrow, with a normal use of my server, and with the error in the end.
    Actually I don't find the "ExceptionInInitializerError" in my logs, but we'll see by tomorrow !

Thanks again !

Unfortunately, I'm running out of things to try. I'm hoping you'll see an ExceptionInInitializerError but if not, my last suggestion is to switch all packages to DEBUG level output. Maybe you'll see an exception that's being buried or see a log statement that will hint at the problem. The instructions for tweaking the log can be found here. Although the linked document deals with security logging, you can use it as a guide to modify the root logger and thresholds. First, try setting org.jboss to DEBUG. Note that you'll need to remove all of the categories whose names start with org.jboss.

Warning: The log file will be quite large and performance could degrade significantly while these log settings are in effect.

Hello
    after a fiew days where it was working some times, I had this morning another error in my log although the error on the homepage was the same ("template could not be loaded" ..).
    I think the problem is different here and related to the fact that I've got one apache and one tomcat running on my machine.
    What do you think about it ?

(server.log attached)

By the way, thanks for the solution to the greater problem, I think it looks resolved, as the error in the log is different.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The HibernateUtil problem I've bumped into (jboss 4.0.5.ga, j2ee deployments 1.6.0-rc1), so you are not alone :-)

I have not solved the issue yet, but the problem does not occur until after login for me, not sure if that is the case here or not.

Also setup classloading to avoid issues with server libs (reference here: http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread...410#post167410)

template:
    The template problem may be related to your pentaho-solutions folder. I think the templates are located in /system/custom/ and somewhere in there should be the template-*.html files. Make sure you are using 1.6 pentaho-solutions instead of older 1.2 series (or at least upgrade it).

wow -- just got the template problem, and this is how I got it (was trying to fix the HibernateUtil problem....).

I added dom4j-1.6.1.

Yup, added dom4j to my ear deployment to make sure it was in the classpath (I'm using classLoader), and I got the template problem.

Dealing with some type of permission issues, but the NoClassDefFound: ...HibernateUtil did -not- show up possibly related to dom4j (only change I made).

Note: I do -not- have jtidy.jar in my classpath related to a seperate linkage problem.
    Last edited by dhartford; 08-21-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Hi Joke, all

I'm just coming from my holidays and I'm awondering if you have found something about our problem ?

Thanks in advance for your return

Best regards
    Odyssee

Hi all,

I am experiencing the same problem, with similar error/log messages. I am using the newest 1.6 PCI version with MySQL. First I got "Template could not be found system/custom/template-login.html". Sometime after that (I don't know when and why) this message dissapeared but after login I get error or just the part of the initial page. Then, without any action done, it suddenly starts to work.

Any clue?

thanks

regards, dejan

Who has not resolved their deployment issues? I'd like to get the the bottom of the problems mentioned in this thread and this one. Please list the following information:

• Java version.
    • If not using PCI, what app server are you using? If JBoss, are you using JBoss Portal too?
    • Name of Pentaho file downloaded including build number (e.g. 1.6.0-RC2.808).
    • What database you're using.
    • Any modifications to original download including Ant properties files, files under pentaho-solutions, etc.
    • Name(s) of Ant target(s) run.
    • Complete server.log from startup to shutdown.

I've tested the EAR built with Ant target "ear-pentaho-jboss-hsqldb-no-portal" from nightly j2ee deployments v1.6.0-RC2.808 on JBoss 4.2.1 and it seems to work.

Hi,

Here are the informations:

Java version: 1.5.0-10
    Using PCI
    Downloaded file: pentaho_demo_mysql5-1.6.0-RC1.782.tar.gz
    Using MySQL database, version 5.0.27 for Win32
    I have done the following modifications:
    - Added custom war file for custom portal design (theme)
    - Added publish password in publisher-config.xml
    - NewsPortlet commented in default-object.xml and pentaho-object.xml (problem with my proxy ISA server)
    - Added a custom folder/subfolders under pentaho-solutions/samples/reporting folder
    - configured security with MySQL backend -> web.xml modified, userdb database created and with authorities, granted_authorities and user tables populated ->security works fine

There are two server.log files attached. The first one is only for startup, the other one is coming from this morning when the "template could not be loaded" error happened untill the shutdown (I zipped this one)...

thanks very much

regards, dejan
    Last edited by dgambin; 09-05-2007 at 02:39 AM.

I have tried setting the option autoReconnect to true:

<property name="connection.url">jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/hibernate?autoReconnect=true</property>

but it didn't help.

Yesterday it also happened on my secondary Linux machine (the first one was Windows XP SP2).

Now I have also tried to set wait_timeout to a higher value instead of default 28800. Do you think it could help or the problem is completely different?

thanks

regards, dejan

Can you try enabling classloader logging as described here? Careful: The log will be huge!

Default Resolved for me using

I was experiencing this same error - I think somehow MySQL is dropping the connection before JBoss/Pentaho expire it.

The exceptions still happen (I see them in the log) but JBoss is smart enough to throw away the old connection and start a new one by executing this small piece of sql.

Code:
    <check-valid-connection-sql>select 1</check-valid-connection-sql>
    So, for anyone experiencing this issue, verify you have a "check valid connection" SQL fragment setup in your mydatasourcename-ds.xml. If you don't add one and see if that resolves your issue.

Thanks very much,

Until now, I did a workaround by setting wait_timeout in mysql configuration file to some higher value.

regards, dejan

I have a similar problem, with my system refusing to send attachments after its been running for so long.

I've tried the <check-valid-connection> line and it made no difference, also it was suggested I tried com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlDataSource as a driver but this also made no difference.

Oddly nights like last night, I get one email out of the 2 currently scheduled that has an attachment but the other doesn't. But most nights I get no attachments and in the morning when I try and run the scheduled task manually it also fails.

I'm using the 1.6 GA 863 Build running on Centos 5 with mySQL 5.0.22, the only modifications carried out are adding a publish password, allowing access from outside localhost and deleting most of the sample xaction files.
    Last edited by bugg_tb; 11-07-2007 at 04:53 AM.
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

Yesterday I also compiled the war file and put it on my tomcat server and it still has the same problem

Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

We are getting the MySQLNonTransientConnectionException error every night so I changed the hibernate.cfg.xml to:

<session-factory>

<property name="cache.provider_class">org.hibernate.cache.EhCacheProvider</property>
    <property name="connection.provider_class">org.hibernate.connection.DBCPConnectionProvider</property>
    <property name="hibernate.generate_statistics">true</property>
    <property name="hibernate.cache.use_query_cache">true</property>
    <property name="hibernate.dbcp.initialSize">5</property>
    <property name="hibernate.dbcp.maxWait">3000</property>

<!-- MySQL Configuration -->
    <property name="connection.url">jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/hibernate</property>
    <property name="dialect">org.pentaho.repository.MySQL5InnoDBDialect</property>
    <property name="connection.username">hibuser</property>

</session-factory>

And this is the error I'm getting on server restart:

2007-11-20 13:33:12,206 FATAL [org.hibernate.connection.ConnectionProviderFactory] Could not instantiate connection provider
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: No ClassLoaders found for: org.hibernate.connection.DBCPConnectionProvider
    at org.jboss.mx.loading.LoadMgr3.beginLoadTask(LoadMgr3.java:306)
    at org.jboss.mx.loading.RepositoryClassLoader.loadClassImpl(RepositoryClassLoader.java:514)
    at org.jboss.mx.loading.RepositoryClassLoader.loadClass(RepositoryClassLoader.java:408)

Which is very similar, if not the same as #BISERVER-93: http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/BISER...s:all-tabpanel

I'm using the pentaho mysql demo 1.6.0.GA.863-GA. commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar and commons-pool-1.2.jar are in pentaho.war/WEB-INF/lib. hibernate3.jar is in default/lib

MySQL: 5.0.33
    Java: 1.5.0_12

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks,
    Jason

Here are the errors that we are getting this morning when logging in:

com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLNonTransientConnectionException: Communications link failure during commit(). Transaction resolution unknown.
    at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:888)

And then when running a report: (report still runs)

2007-11-21 09:04:42,768 WARN [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] SQL Error: 0, SQLState: 08003
    2007-11-21 09:04:42,768 ERROR [org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter] No operations allowed after connection closed.Connection was implicitly closed due to underlying exception/error:

com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException
    MESSAGE: Communications link failure due to underlying exception:

java.net.SocketException
    MESSAGE: Software caused connection abort: socket write error

STACKTRACE:

java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error

This error repeats itself about 600 times for one report run/login.

It alternates between

com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure due to underlying exception:

and
    com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException
    MESSAGE: Communications link failure due to underlying exception:

From looking around on different sites this is due to MySQL timing out after so long (usually 8 hours). My guess then is that the validation paramater query is being ignored:

so I added autoReconnect=true and autoReconnectForPools=true to the connection string to see if that works. I'll find out in 8+ hours....
    Last edited by eggsurplus; 11-21-2007 at 11:51 AM.

Use the DBCPConnectionProvider for connection pooling.

Bugg_tb has it on his blog at http://www.wamonline.org.uk/2007/11/...ve-a-solution/
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Ahhh, that's the key. I had added that before but it wasn't finding the class. I tried moving hibernate3.jar to the server lib but I gave up after that.

I added the .class as he directed in his blog, made the cfg changes and restarted the server. I'll see how it looks tomorrow morning.

Thanks a bunch pmalves!

I got the same problem and with the solution that pmalves gave, it works.
    Thanks

Splendid (except for the renaming of the downloaded file, if you are on Linux, as I am). But works a treat. How can we motivate the guys at Pentaho to make this part of the standard kit?

Hummm, I think i celebrated too soon. It keeps falling during the night. I'm trying another approach. I create 2 subscriptions, one for admin, and another for a limited user, sending a email everyday at a specified time with this and with pmalves solution i think it works.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgangsz View Post
    Splendid (except for the renaming of the downloaded file, if you are on Linux, as I am). But works a treat. How can we motivate the guys at Pentaho to make this part of the standard kit?

Yeah sorry I'll edit the blog post, as far as the rest of your comment goes, I think we'll be waiting a while, I brought it to the attention of the senior staff it was dismissed as being rather trivial as it doesn't effect everyone, I'd be interested to know what the cause of the problem is though. oh well at least we know how to fix the problem for the time being.

Tom

Talking Solved - For real this time

Hey all,

Let me introduce myself for those that don't know me from earlier posts. I'm Marc Batchelor, and I'm the Chief Engineer as well as a co-founder of Pentaho. Next, let me regale you all with a tale of my woe relating to this issue. If you wish, you can skip down to the "Final Solution" section at the bottom.

I first encountered this problem at a customer site with MySQL 4.x and the Pentaho platform about two years ago (or so). At the time, the solution was to use the DBCPConnectionProvider class as described in the forum posts above. This information was captured informally, and propagated to others by word-of-keyboard. The bottom line though was, the solution with DBCP and DBCPConnectionProvider worked (and in fact, still works at the aforementioned customer site).

Now, cut to present day. I was tasked with getting a deployment of Pentaho 1.6.1 going on another internal server for some additional internal BI projects (yeah, we eat our own dog food here). I got the product installed and configured with MySQL, and had everything running in an hour or so. I left the machine running, and then the next day, I found I couldn't connect to the platform because of MySQL issues.

This seemed familiar to me, and so I dug around in correspondence and saved hibernate.cfg.xml files, and found the solution (I thought). I just needed to configure things with DBCP, and all would be right with the world. So, I set up DBCP (by basically copying all the settings I had carved retained from the previous customer engagement and copying over the DBCPConnectionProvider class). Just to be sure, after the platform was up and running, I killed and re-started MySQL!!!

Well, the exceptions flooded across the console, but things seemed to recover just fine. I was able to run reports and use the platform. So, I said to myself rather smugly, that's that! I told everyone that the problem was solved.

Well, this morning, much to my surprise, the problem happened again! What's the deal?

In looking at the HTML output, it was clear that the solution repository couldn't be accessed (the template problem). I looked at the stack trace on the server console, and the problem was coming from the handling of prepared statements by DBCP. But, I needed a more efficient way to try to troubleshoot the problem. After a bit of googling, I found out that there is a parameter called wait_timeout that seemed to be the likely suspect. According to the MySQL documentation, this is "The number of seconds the server waits for activity on a connection before closing it". The default is 8 hours, but I wanted to see if it was the cause of my problem. So, I set it to 30 seconds, and restarted MySQL and the platform. After the re-start, I did some playing in the platform, and then let it sit for about a minute. Going back into the platform reproduced the error I saw this morning. So, I now had a quick-and-easy way to test to see if any "fix" I came up with was really a fix.

I must have tried 30+ hibernate.cfg.xml tweaks to the DBCP settings to no avail. No matter what I tried while using the DBCPConnectionProvider, it had no effect. So, I decided to approach the problem from a different direction. That direction was to use a different connection pooling implementation. Instead of using DBCP, I decided to switch to C3P0. This is a connection pooling implementation that is shipped in the hibernate3.jar. All I needed to do is get the c3p0 jar file, and tweak the hibernate.cfg.xml.

Well, after playing with it, I was in fact able to solve the problem completely using C3P0. The following is the cook-book way to make the world right for MySQL once more:

Final Solution
    • Download C3P0 from SourceForge
    • Extract c3p0-0.9.1.2.jar from the .zip file, and place it in jboss/server/default/lib
    • Remove all hibernate.dbcp.* properties from your hibernate.cfg.xml - don't forget to remove the property connection.provider_class because we're replacing that line with a new connection provider
    • Add the following XML fragments to your hibernate.cfg.xml file

Code:
    <property name="connection.provider_class">org.hibernate.connection.C3P0ConnectionProvider</property>
    <property name=“hibernate.c3p0.acquire_increment”>3</property>
    <property name=“hibernate.c3p0.idle_test_period”>14400</property>
    <property name=“hibernate.c3p0.min_size”>5</property>
    <property name=“hibernate.c3p0.max_size”>75</property>
    <property name=“hibernate.c3p0.max_statements”>0</property>
    <property name=“hibernate.c3p0.timeout”>25200</property>
    <property name=“hibernate.c3p0.preferredTestQuery”>select 1</property>
    <property name=“hibernate.c3p0.testConnectionOnCheckout”>true</property>
    Next Steps
    I'm going to point this little gem out to our build person and VP of Engineering, and see about getting the C3P0 stuff into the next (and future) builds of the MySQL distribution of the platform. I'm sorry that this went on so long, and hopefully, the next one can get crushed much quicker.

Thanks all for your patience and understanding,

Marc Batchelor
    Chief Engineer

Cheers for that Marc

I played around with C3PO and couldn't get it going but I will try your example. have you any idea of the cause of the problem and why it affects some ppl and not others?

Cheers

Tom

Not offhand. At present, I don't have time to keep tracking it to the root cause. I suspect that the problem lies in DBCP. Specifically, I don't think that the connection validation is executed when prepared statements are used from DBCP. It's a suspicion (without sufficient evidence), but things seem to work well with C3P0 and not DBCP.

Take care,

Marc

hi, i have the same error,

can you tell me the path for hibernate.cfg.xml, y have two files in a
    /opt/pentaho/bi-server/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes

/opt/pentaho/bi-server/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes/jndi

I have solved this problem on our servers. I had the exact same issue with MySQL 5.x

Although there seems to be another solution involving C3P0, I solved mine by simply adding:
    wait_timeout=86400
    to /etc/mysql/my.cnf

and that takes care of it. If your servers go more than 24hours without interaction with the repository, you may want to make this number larger.

Geoff

Sorry, but with the c3p0, it still falls during the night.
    What is wrong?
    I update this property
    <property name=“hibernate.c3p0.timeout”>25200</property>

to

<property name=“hibernate.c3p0.timeout”>43200</property>

but it still falls.

I don't understand.

Jose Henriques

C3P0 worked to everyone? i'm still having problems with this. Some times it still falls during the night. it keeps saying that "couldn't load templates"

Thanks, José Henriques

I've not tried C3P0 yet, I don't get any other problems apart from that template issue that you have with DBCP, i just restart the server every few nights, ugly I know but it works

Tom

Great thread... I solved the same problem just by editting my.cnf file of mySQL5.. Although i am still hoping that there is no connection timeout limit (i mean no need to adjust wait_timeout parameter to 30 days, if i am planning to have a long vacation). I haven't tried using c3pO yet and i hope this will completely solve inactivity issue. Thanks a lot for all the helpful comments and posts..

I've the same issue in pentaho_j2ee_deployments-1.7.0.GA
    Please, help

Quote Originally Posted by luber View Post
    I've the same issue in pentaho_j2ee_deployments-1.7.0.GA
    Please, help
    Well the problem for me seems to have gone away in 1.7 but anyway, why not read the thread as all the answers you need are in here.

Tom

Hi!

What about Pentaho v2.0? For us, it seems to be happening the same error:

Last packet sent to the server was 0 ms ago.

STACKTRACE:

com.mysql.jdbc.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure due to under
    lying exception:

java.net.SocketException
    MESSAGE: Software caused connection abort: socket write error

STACKTRACE:

java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: socket write error
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source)
    at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.send(MysqlIO.java:2744)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1612)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1723)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:3283)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.ja
    va:1332)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeQuery(PreparedStatement.java:
    1467)
    at org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher.getResultSet(AbstractBatcher.java:
    186)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.getResultSet(Loader.java:1787)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:674)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Lo
    ader.java:236)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2213)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.listUsingQueryCache(Loader.java:2136)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.list(Loader.java:2096)
    at org.hibernate.loader.hql.QueryLoader.list(QueryLoader.java:378)
    at org.hibernate.hql.ast.QueryTranslatorImpl.list(QueryTranslatorImpl.ja
    va:338)
    at org.hibernate.engine.query.HQLQueryPlan.performList(HQLQueryPlan.java
    :172)
    at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.list(SessionImpl.java:1121)
    at org.hibernate.impl.QueryImpl.list(QueryImpl.java:79)
    at org.hibernate.impl.AbstractQueryImpl.uniqueResult(AbstractQueryImpl.j
    ava:811)
    at org.pentaho.platform.repository.solution.dbbased.DbBasedSolutionRepos
    itory.getRootFolder(DbBasedSolutionRepository.java:900)
    itory.init(DbBasedSolutionRepository.java:112)
    itory.<init>(DbBasedSolutionRepository.java:97)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Sou
    rce)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.core.system.objfac.ObjectCreator.createOb
    ject(ObjectCreator.java:57)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.core.system.objfac.SessionObjectCreator.g
    etInstance(SessionObjectCreator.java:47)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.core.system.objfac.PentahoObjectFactory.g
    etObject(PentahoObjectFactory.java:47)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.core.system.PentahoSystem.getSolutionRepo
    sitory(PentahoSystem.java:800)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine.createAc
    tionSequence(SolutionEngine.java:451)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine.executeI
    nternal(SolutionEngine.java:360)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine.execute(
    SolutionEngine.java:313)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.services.solution.SolutionEngine.execute(
    SolutionEngine.java:192)
    at org.pentaho.platform.engine.core.system.PentahoSystem.sessionStartup(
    PentahoSystem.java:707)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.SecurityStartupFilter.doFilter
    (SecurityStartupFilter.java:75)
    at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(F
    ilterChainProxy.java:275)
    at org.acegisecurity.providers.anonymous.AnonymousProcessingFilter.doFil
    ter(AnonymousProcessingFilter.java:125)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.rememberme.RememberMeProcessingFilter.doFilter(R
    ememberMeProcessingFilter.java:142)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.RequestParameterAuthentication
    Filter.doFilter(RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.java:164)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.basicauth.BasicProcessingFilter.doFilter(BasicPr
    ocessingFilter.java:174)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.AbstractProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractProces
    singFilter.java:271)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:1
    10)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.security.HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilte
    r.doFilter(HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.java:129)
    at org.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilte
    r(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:249)
    at org.acegisecurity.wrapper.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doF
    ilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:81)
    at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.jav
    a:149)
    at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterToBeanProxy.doFilter(FilterToBeanProxy.j
    ava:98)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Appl
    icationFilterChain.java:215)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationF
    ilterChain.java:188)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.filters.SystemStatusFilter.doFilter(Sys
    temStatusFilter.java:55)
    at org.pentaho.platform.web.http.filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFi
    lter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:113)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperV
    alve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextV
    alve.java:174)
    at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(Authentica
    torBase.java:433)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.j
    ava:127)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.j
    ava:117)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineVal
    ve.java:108)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.jav
    a:174)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java
    :874)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.p
    rocessConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpo
    int.java:528)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFol
    lowerWorkerThread.java:81)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadP
    ool.java:689)

** END NESTED EXCEPTION **

Any suggestion is welcome, since the application server we're working now is Tomcat and there's a lot of another changes in Pentaho v2.0.

Regards,
    Sidarta.

Hi,

I am using 1.7.0 and still getting a bunch of errors pretty often. I have set wait_timeout parameter a long ago and it helped for a while but the problem is still happening.

Is there any final resolution to this error? I wanted to try with c3p0 solution but I don't know if this is already supported in 1.7.0?

There are no dbcp entries in hibernate.cfg.xml but no c3p0 either. And no connection.provider parameter.

So, is it ok to try mark's solution?

regards, dejan

The entries aren't in the hibernate config cause its not enabled by default, its a bit of a hack, but it does work so add the jar and edit the files

Thanks very much :-)

Do you maybe know why am I getting errors like this in server.log:

2009-01-21 08:27:51,778 INFO [STDOUT] 08:27:51,763 ERROR [HibernateUtil] HIBUTIL.ERROR_0006 - Building SessionFactory failed.
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/mchange/v2/c3p0/DataSources
    at org.hibernate.connection.C3P0ConnectionProvider.configure(C3P0ConnectionProvider.java:154)
    at org.hibernate.connection.ConnectionProviderFactory.newConnectionProvider(ConnectionProviderFactory.java:124)
    at org.hibernate.connection.ConnectionProviderFactory.newConnectionProvider(ConnectionProviderFactory.java:56)
    at org.hibernate.cfg.SettingsFactory.createConnectionProvider(SettingsFactory.java:414)

did you download and copy the jar to the right place?

You know what - I can't believe this. I have seen the file in the proper place TODAY but now I can't find it any more.

I apologize really, I am going to try right now...sorry

Hi bugg_tb,
    I am having the same problem that Sidarta ( on 12-23-2008) is having. I am running biserver-ce 2.0-stable with mysql5 and my server hangs over night. I am not sure what to add in the mysql5.hibernate.cfg.xml to make it work again. Can you help?

Hi bugg...

You may have forgotten to include the link in the "here" word.... no wonder I had to ask you for the link.... http://forums.pentaho.org/showpost.p...7&postcount=46

Quote Originally Posted by bugg_tb View Post
    Well the problem for me seems to have gone away in 1.7 but anyway, why not read the thread as all the answers you need are in here.

Tom
    Again many thanks... DMurray3

Default C3P0 does not work for me! Can you help me?

Marc,

I have read your post and followed your steps but It still does not work. Bellow there is the content of file mysql5.hibernate.cfg which is at pentaho-solutions/system/hibernate/. Can you help detect where the error lies?

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> 
    <!DOCTYPE hibernate-configuration PUBLIC "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Configuration DTD//EN" 
        <session-factory> 

<!--  
                hibernate c3p0 settings  
            --> 

<property name="connection.provider_class">org.hibernate.connection.C3P0ConnectionProvider</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.acquire_increment">2</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.min_size">3</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.max_size">10</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.idle_test_period">10</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.preferredTestQuery">select 1;</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.max_statements">0</property> 

<!--  
                hibernate cache settings  
            --> 
            <property name="cache.provider_class">org.hibernate.cache.EhCacheProvider</property> 

<!--property name="cache.provider_class">org.hibernate.cache.NoCacheProvider</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.cache.use_second_level_cache">false</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.cache.use_query_cache">false</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.connection.aggressive_release">false</property-->     

<property name="dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.MySQL5InnoDBDialect</property> 
            <property name="connection.username">username</property> 
            <!-- replaces DefinitionVersionManager --> 
            <property name="hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto">update</property> 
            <!-- load resource from classpath --> 
            <mapping resource="hibernate/mysql5innodb.hbm.xml"/> 
            <!--  This is only used by Pentaho Administration Console. Acegi will not use these mapping files --> 
            <mapping resource="PentahoUser.hbm.xml"/> 
            <mapping resource="PentahoRole.hbm.xml"/> 

</session-factory> 
    Note: I tried with org.hibernate.cache.NoCacheProvider (below) that is commented in the code above, but it didn't work:

Code:
            <property name="cache.provider_class">org.hibernate.cache.NoCacheProvider</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.cache.use_second_level_cache">false</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.cache.use_query_cache">false</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.connection.aggressive_release">false</property>
    In addition, you should know that my mysql server is configured to disconnects every 30 seconds. This is, of course, in a testing environment.

Thanks in advanced,
    Anyer

Final Solution.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> 
    <!DOCTYPE hibernate-configuration PUBLIC "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Configuration DTD//EN" 
        <session-factory> 

<!--  
                hibernate c3p0 settings  
            --> 

<property name="hibernate.c3p0.acquire_increment">3</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.idle_test_period">10</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.min_size">5</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.max_size">75</property>        
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.max_statements">0</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.timeout">25200</property> 
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.preferredTestQuery">select 1</property>         
            <property name="hibernate.c3p0.testConnectionOnCheckout">true</property> 

<!--  
                hibernate cache settings  
            --> 

<property name="dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.MySQL5InnoDBDialect</property> 
            <property name="connection.username">username</property> 
            <!-- replaces DefinitionVersionManager --> 
            <property name="hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto">update</property> 
            <!-- load resource from classpath --> 
            <mapping resource="hibernate/mysql5innodb.hbm.xml"/> 
            <!--  This is only used by Pentaho Administration Console. Acegi will not use these mapping files --> 
            <mapping resource="PentahoUser.hbm.xml"/> 
            <mapping resource="PentahoRole.hbm.xml"/> 

</session-factory> 

hey i have done the specific changes in
    /pentaho/bi-server/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes/jndi/hibernate.cfg.xml
    /pentaho/bi-server/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes/hibernate.cfg.xml
    still i get following error. Here is the stacktrace

Servlet.service() for servlet ViewAction threw exception
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    at org.pentaho.repository.runtime.RuntimeRepository.setSession(RuntimeRepository.java:75)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.getRuntimeRepository(PentahoSystem.java:1144)
    at org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine.execute(SolutionEngine.java:205)
    at org.pentaho.core.solution.SolutionEngine.execute(SolutionEngine.java:169)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.sessionStartup(PentahoSystem.java:832)
    at com.pentaho.security.SecurityStartupFilter.doFilter(SecurityStartupFilter.java:70)
    at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:275)
    at org.acegisecurity.providers.anonymous.AnonymousProcessingFilter.doFilter(AnonymousProcessingFilter.java:125)
    at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:275)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.rememberme.RememberMeProcessingFilter.doFilter(RememberMeProcessingFilter.java:142)
    at com.pentaho.security.RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.java:164)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.basicauth.BasicProcessingFilter.doFilter(BasicProcessingFilter.java:174)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.AbstractProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractProcessingFilter.java:271)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:110)
    at com.pentaho.security.HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.java:130)
    at org.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:249)
    at org.acegisecurity.wrapper.SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.doFilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:81)
    at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:149)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.SystemStatusFilter.doFilter(SystemStatusFilter.java:53)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
    at org.pentaho.ui.servlet.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:112)
    at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:230)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
    at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:179)
    at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:433)
    at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:84)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:104)
    at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.jca.CachedConnectionValve.invoke(CachedConnectionValve.java:157)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:241)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:580)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

himanshu,

why did you changed files at that locations under WEB-INF/classes? Hibernate configuration files are in <biserver-home>/pentaho-solutions/hibernate. But, looking at the trace, I'm seeing that you're executing under jboss so apologize me if I'm missing something.

In any case I think that because you're executing under a managed environment it would be better to configure hibernate to use jboss managed datasources...

Regards
    S.
    Follow Me on Twitter: sramazzina
    My Skype account: sramazzina
    My Blog
    View my profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/sramazzina
    Author of Pentaho Data Integration Kitchen How-To and Pentaho Business Analytics Cookbook

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho ##saiku

Hi Saramazina,
    Actually i am using pentaho bi-server to generate report but my server fails after some time and if i restart then it works.
    To solve out this problem i followed this particular thread and accordingly made changes. In
    /pentaho/bi-server/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes/jndi/hibernate.cfg.xml
    /pentaho/bi-server/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes/hibernate.cfg.xml
    files. And copied c3p0.jar file in pentaho/bi-server/jboss/server/default/lib/
    I am not aware of how to configure hibernate settings?
    Can you please tell me where am i going wrong?

The problem is solved using c3p0 library and the configuration the guys have explained you in the previous messages.

Because you're using the hibernate persistency datasources the library has to be copied to /pentaho/bi-server/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/lib and not where you copied. Remember that the files that needs to be modified are in pentaho-solutions/system/hibernate.

Regards
    S.
    Follow Me on Twitter: sramazzina
    My Skype account: sramazzina
    My Blog
    View my profile on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/sramazzina
    Author of Pentaho Data Integration Kitchen How-To and Pentaho Business Analytics Cookbook

Join us on IRC server Freenode.net, channel ##pentaho ##saiku

Hi Saramazzina,
    I have changed the file in
    pentaho/bi-server/pentaho-solutions/system/hibernate/hibernate-jboss-managed.xml

and copied c3p0-0.9.1.2 in
    pentaho/bi-server/jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho.war/WEB-INF/lib

If i start pentaho then i am able to get the scheduled reports but next day if i check then i do not get reports.Instead there is an exception in pentaho.log .Is it the issue with pentaho version 1.7.Here is the stack trace of exception.

2010-03-31 19:54:40,874 ERROR [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] HIBUTIL.ERROR_0003 - rollbackTransaction() failed.
    org.hibernate.TransactionException: JDBC rollback failed at org.hibernate.transaction.JDBCTransaction.rollback(JDBCTransaction.java:170)
    at org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil.rollbackTransaction(HibernateUtil.java:408)
    at org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil.commitTransaction(HibernateUtil.java:385)
    at org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil.systemExitPoint(HibernateUtil.java:634)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.StandaloneApplicationContext.invokeExitPoints(StandaloneApplicationContext.java:132)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.systemExitPoint(PentahoSystem.java:1278)
    at org.pentaho.ui.servlet.ViewAction.doGet(ViewAction.java:265)
    at org.pentaho.ui.servlet.ViewAction.doPost(ViewAction.java:271)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
    at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:265)
    at org.acegisecurity.intercept.web.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:107)
    at org.acegisecurity.intercept.web.FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:72)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:124)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.switchuser.SwitchUserProcessingFilter.doFilter(SwitchUserProcessingFilter.java:341)
    at com.pentaho.security.SecurityStartupFilter.doFilter(SecurityStartupFilter.java:76)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.rememberme.RememberMeProcessingFilter.doFilter(RememberMeProcessingFilter.java:142)
    at com.pentaho.security.RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.doFilter(RequestParameterAuthenticationFilter.java:164)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.basicauth.BasicProcessingFilter.doFilter(BasicProcessingFilter.java:174)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.AbstractProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractProcessingFilter.java:271)
    at org.acegisecurity.ui.logout.LogoutFilter.doFilter(LogoutFilter.java:110)
    at com.pentaho.security.HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionReuseDetectionFilter.java:130)
    at org.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:249)
    at org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:149)
    at org.pentaho.ui.servlet.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:112)
    at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:230)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
    at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:179)
    at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:433)
    at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:84)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:104)
    at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.jca.CachedConnectionValve.invoke(CachedConnectionValve.java:157)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:241)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:580)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLNonTransientConnectionException: Connection.close() has already been called. Invalid operation in this state.
    at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:888)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.getMutex(Connection.java:3728)
    at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.rollback(Connection.java:5204)
    at org.hibernate.transaction.JDBCTransaction.rollbackAndResetAutoCommit(JDBCTransaction.java:183)
    at org.hibernate.transaction.JDBCTransaction.rollback(JDBCTransaction.java:162)
    ... 66 more

Hi,

We moved our Pentaho Solution folder to the Pentaho Linux server, we did not faced any problem in User console login, the reports and dashboard workss as expected but Admin console breaks often and we need to restart it. What will bve the solution for it?

Regards
    Mahadevan