Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Error publishing xml

Question Error publishing xml

I have a report with many functions/expressions and when I publish the xml I get an error and my xml is not complete. It has some of the functions at the end of the xml file but not even half of them and then it doesn't even finish closing those xml tags, just cuts off abruptly. How can I get around this??

Here is the error I get:
    org.pentaho.reportdesigner.crm.report.reportexporter.jfreereport.PublishException: Unable to extract or write properties.
    at org.pentaho.reportdesigner.crm.report.reportexporter.jfreereport.JFreeReportFileExporter.exportReport(JFreeReportFileExporter.java:303)
    at org.pentaho.reportdesigner.crm.report.commands.PublishToLocationCommand$3.run(PublishToLocationCommand.java:311)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to extract or write properties.
    at org.jfree.report.modules.parser.extwriter.FunctionsWriter.writeExpressions(FunctionsWriter.java:178)
    at org.jfree.report.modules.parser.extwriter.FunctionsWriter.write(FunctionsWriter.java:100)
    at org.jfree.report.modules.parser.extwriter.ReportDefinitionWriter.write(ReportDefinitionWriter.java:132)
    at org.jfree.report.modules.parser.extwriter.ReportWriter.write(ReportWriter.java:489)
    at org.pentaho.reportdesigner.crm.report.reportexporter.jfreereport.JFreeReportFileExporter.exportReport(JFreeReportFileExporter.java:205)
    ... 2 more

smells as if something really went wrong. Can you post the "*.report" file that shows this kind of error?
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Here is the .report file.

Thank you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I also added the convertToDateExpression to another report and got the same error publishing the xml for it, as well. The xml then is cut off in the same place, in the first ConvertToDateExpression.

Default ideas?

Anyone know why this is happening??

what version & build number are you using?

I am using version 1.2.1.625 of the manual deployment

Well I removed some of the expressions and added them back in and they seemed to work, so I'm not sure what was going on but I think it had to do with my convertToDate expressions... But I have them back the same and they work now.

Thanks though!

After some digging, I found the reason for the failure:

The 'convertToDate' expression had a locale set. This is not bad in general, but due to a bug in the report-writer, it confused the system, then it choked and died a horrible death. Removing and readding the expression most likely removed the defined locale and thus the system did no longer die.

This bug has been fixed in the latest 0.8.9 pre-release. So future versions will not die whenever they encounter locale-objects.

Have fun,
    said Thomas
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Thank you for letting me know! I will make sure not to set locale on these, until I am using the next release.