Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: 'throttled' jdbc driver

Lightbulb 'throttled' jdbc driver

seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to build a JDBC driver that accessed any/most other JDBC driver providing an additional layer abstraction.

The new driver would allow throttling of data (as you can do in tools like BO) to limit either rows returned or execution time (to values set in LDAP/AD directory by user????).

With the ad-hoc tool, this would protect against (usually unintentional) abuse of the DB.

Default Max_rows

It looks like there is a variable called MAX_ROWS which will try to limit the number of rows returned. I imagine the driver determines how this is handled in the database.

I would like to be able to specify this for the Ad Hc tool as well. That way any dynamic reports will not cause an out of Memory error. The MAX_ROWS should be saved along with the report but then changeable through the Action Sequence editor.

This would give some flexibility to the developer yet control the dynamic reports.

(I had hoped to be able to set this in the pentaho_solution/system/waqr/mql-template.xaction but the code seems to ignore the <max_rows> element.)

thanks,

Brit
    Last edited by bpair; 07-03-2007 at 09:31 AM.