Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Performance

Default Performance

I am still having performance issues and would love some help.

I am running Java 1.4 with 1GB allocated. I am connecting to an Oracle 10g RAC using the ojdbc14 driver.

I am retrieving 180,000 rows of 11 fields. I am testing with the latest pentaho source code I pulled down this morning.

My action sequence gets data from MQL and passes a live resultset to a custom class I wrote. The custom class loops through each row and field but does not do anything with the data (fills a local Object variable that is then set to null and reused). I print a status every 10,000 rows so I can get some times.

Without my Eclipse profiling software running it takes about 8 minutes to process all of the rows. With the profiler running it takes over a minute to do 10,000 rows.

Why does it take so long?

getColumnCount() is called repeatedly and I noticed that the Pentaho SQLResultSet class has variable to hold the column count but the next() method does not use it. I think this was an oversight and needs to be fixed.

Memory continues to increase during the processing. Without profiling I can only process around 1.5 million rows before running out of memory.

Profiling only tells me most memory is consumed by character and byte arrays.

Default Was using OCI not JNDI

I noticed my xmi was pointing to Oracle OCI not my JNDI. it also had some default MYSQL parameters (fetch size = 500)

I am using JNDI now and bumped up the fetch count to 20000. Much faster now but hit a wall after 1.4 million records. That is when I have used up all of 1 GB.

Default Scrollable Resultset

The limit is due to the scrollable resultset. If I switch to forward_only I can process millions of rows without a large increase in memory.

I created a feature request to allow specifying forward-only in certain scenarios.