Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Several questions from first time user

Default Several questions from first time user

I need to start this post by apologizing for all this newbish questions; I started working with pentaho recently and several question arose.

I found pentaho when I was looking for some alternative to hyperion. First found mondrian - which I thought was fabulous - but was looking more for a high-level, easy to deploy solution, then I found pentaho - easy, after finding mondrian

I was able to successfully deploy the war on tomcat 5.5 (I don't plan to use the portal), build my own solution - hello world - and I think I can easily set up an environment for debuging actions - I always got an error when using FormatMessage action, but debuging it should make it easy to find. Need to move things to new database, but one thing at a time.

Please move this to the appropriate forum if this is not the most adequate. I read a lot of documentation but things are still too fresh. I'll start:

1. If I understood the model correctly, pentaho is supposed to be *the appllication* to install and customize. But how am I supposed to customize it? I can edit jsp/Login.jsp, but that will mess with future upgrades. I know I'm supposed to edit that page to remove that js code that automatically fills the users/pass, but is that it? Does pentaho have some sort of templating system, or at least some kind of user-stylesheet.css? My view of pentaho, what I would like, at least, is a very easy to setup and that would allow me to build a project with a very-very low time-to-market (day/few days just to show some simple reports)

2. Does pentaho, with the components available in the design studio, make full use of mondrian, jfreereports and kettle or should I invest some time studing those tools to have a full-working platform?

3. One thing I'm really confused about is the security issues. I've read the documentation but since I've never worked with acegi before. Isn't there some "pentaho security for dummies" doc that just shows me how to add users, profiles and authorizations? I just hope I dont need to use explicit java coding just for this . I tried browsing the Admin->Permissions tree, but all I see is a "No File Selected", no matter what node I choose.

Well, I was a bit frustrated yesterday, but I'm happy to see that all my first-time questions are only 3 topics. I'll try to set up a new connection to a database and make some reports.

Thanks a lot, and great solution you have there

I will attempt to respond to issue #3.

For "No file selected," see http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=54812. (Basically, you need to switch to the db-based solution repository for security to work.)

If you get stuck configuring security, I would recommend consulting the Acegi Security documentation (or Spring forums) first then post back to the Pentaho forums as Pentaho uses Acegi Security out-of-the-box where possible. (In other words, Pentaho security XML looks very much like the examples you'd see in the Acegi Security documentation.)

Assuming you're doing a proof-of-concept or demo, I'd stick with the "in-memory" user/role definitions--meaning that the users and roles are defined in an XML file. (This is the default. I would stay away from RDBMS and LDAP-based security until you're satisfied with the authorization rules that you have setup.)

I can start you in the right direction.
    • pentaho.war/WEB-INF/applicationContext-acegi-security.xml: authorization rules for URLs
    • pentaho.war/WEB-INF/applicationContext-acegi-security-memory.xml: user and role defs for "in-memory" back-end
    • Admin > Permissions in Pentaho application: authorization rules for solution repository objects (e.g. action sequences)
    • pentaho-solutions/system/pentaho.xml: for defining the Pentaho super-user and default solution repo object ACLs

Quote Originally Posted by mlowery View Post

For "No file selected," see http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=54812. (Basically, you need to switch to the db-based solution repository for security to work.)

Hum, I thought that for using the db-based solution I needed the pro version. And if I use the tb based solution, will I still be able to use the editor and/or edit the pentaho-solution files in the file system?

Thanks

Answering to myself: It works!

I'm using postgresql, and I had to adapt the psql script to include the creation if the pro_* tables. Now things work as expected! Looking good....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlowery View Post
    (Basically, you need to switch to the db-based solution repository for security to work.)
    As I told before, I was able to do that! But I dont know how to commit changes I do in design studio or by direct file edit;

I tried the Admin-> Refresh Solution Repository , and in the logs I saw:

INFO [RepositoryUpdateHelper] UPDATED - FILE: /pentaho-solutions/samples2/test/test_pt.properties

but when I teste the action I get the previous version. If I restart the server, everything goes ok.

I'm sure I must be missing some trivial thing

I'll try to answer to your first issue :
    Pentaho can use few differents ways to render :
    - In the Pentaho API, give a look on the com.pentaho.ui.component, that generate XML fragments that you could transform with XSL stylesheets (pentaho-solutions/system/custom/xsl). Few JSPs are working like this.
    - In the directory pentaho-solutions/system/custom, you'll also find some html templates used by the demo JSPs
    - You can, from servlet or JSPs, make direct calls to Pentaho API to access to solution repository, edit ACLs, etc...
    The way I used is to keep a copy of the "old" demo JSPs, then I started back from scratch with some of them or maked some in-depth modifications to other, using the Pentaho API.

Please admins correct me if I said some incorrect things.

Hope this helps.
    Fabien