Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho an out of the box solution?

Question Pentaho an out of the box solution?

I've been using JasperServer for a while and I find myself always looking back at Pentaho's solution which appears to lead to a more complete solution (Dashboards, workflow, actions...). I basically have a few questions with regards to Pentaho:

• Is it possible to create a customized solution in Pentaho without having to create or extend Java files? I'm rather comfortable having to update JSP files, creating JRXML files, Javascript, but not compiling or extending the existing infrastucture functionality. So, what I'm really asking is if Pentaho is a complete enought solution.

Do I need to purchase Pentaho's solution in order to create my "Dream" BI application, or does the Free OpenSource solution provides all what I would need for it (assuming that my first question is being satisfied)

I've used Pentaho's sandbox version in the past, and it was very appealing, but when it came to create the dashboards, it became rather cumbersome and documentation was lacking. I would love to be able to show PKI in a flashy style, elegant Ad-Hoc reports created via Jasper or JFreeReports, is there a road map document that takes one step by step (From SCRATCH) to create all these?

As I said, I've used JasperServer, and the product is looking fine, but I feel it can't offer all what I want, at least at this point, I need more flexibility without having to download the Code, setup an eclipse project, and start extending and altering Java classes. Is Pentaho a better option?

I'm also developing my own front-end by I will leverage some of the presentation with the one pentaho may provide me with at times - is this right? I did this already with JasperServer, and it worked fine, but I could not control much the XML generated by their webservices - with pentaho I am hoping to be able to feed XML to my front-end and generated a more desired output (not using XSL).
    Last edited by shija03; 07-06-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Title error

I have the same problem. is there a posibility of deploy a dasboard in that way?

Quote Originally Posted by shija03 View Post
    • Is it possible to create a customized solution in Pentaho without having to create or extend Java files? I'm rather comfortable having to update JSP files, creating JRXML files, Javascript, but not compiling or extending the existing infrastucture functionality. So, what I'm really asking is if Pentaho is a complete enought solution.
    I've not had to do any Java or JSP editing, if you want dashboards you'll need JScript and HTML and a few braincells, but apart from that you should do fine.

• Do I need to purchase Pentaho's solution in order to create my "Dream" BI application, or does the Free OpenSource solution provides all what I would need for it (assuming that my first question is being satisfied)
    99% of the subscription stuff is in the free version, just some auditing and management features if I'm not mistaken.

I've used Pentaho's sandbox version in the past, and it was very appealing, but when it came to create the dashboards, it became rather cumbersome and documentation was lacking. I would love to be able to show PKI in a flashy style, elegant Ad-Hoc reports created via Jasper or JFreeReports, is there a road map document that takes one step by step (From SCRATCH) to create all these?
    http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/COM/...ho+BI+Platform
    The frame work enables easy dashboarding.
    As I said, I've used JasperServer, and the product is looking fine, but I feel it can't offer all what I want, at least at this point, I need more flexibility without having to download the Code, setup an eclipse project, and start extending and altering Java classes. Is Pentaho a better option?
    Well I've not used jasper I have to confess but there are a couple of converts on the IRC channel.

I'm also developing my own front-end by I will leverage some of the presentation with the one pentaho may provide me with at times - is this right? I did this already with JasperServer, and it worked fine, but I could not control much the XML generated by their webservices - with pentaho I am hoping to be able to feed XML to my front-end and generated a more desired output (not using XSL).
    You can output in just about any format you want so you shouldn't have any problems.

Hope that answers a few and no doubt creates a few more questions.

Tom
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg