Thread: Where To Start?

Default Where To Start?

Hello World!
    I'm new here in Pentaho. I have downloaded the following pdf files:
    1. Getting Started With Design Studio 1.2.0GA.pdf
    2. Getting Started With BI Platform 1.2.0GA.pdf
    3. Creating Pentaho Solutions 1.2.0GA.pdf
    4. And etc. (a lot more pdf's)...

I was task to evaluate Pentaho for use of our company so after downloading the above mentioned pdf files (I have also downloaded a lot of .zip files), I don't know where to start. I wanted to know a lot about Pentaho because it seems so powerful when it comes to reporting (which our company needs).
    So, where do you suggest I should start reading? I don't want to just jump into topics and leave the important details behind.
    Please help.
    Thank you very much!

Eric

I noticed that the doc versions you downloaded all specified v1.2.0. If you want the latest stable builds, I would recommend v1.5.3. Check out Milestone 3 - version 1.5.3. Finally, for the "live" version of the documentation, I would recommend the Pentaho wiki.

Hi Mlowery,
    Thank you very much for that swift reply. I have now downloaded the doc files (pdf) v1.5.3. I would like to download also the zip files like pentaho_demo, pentaho_solutions, pentaho_design_wizard, etc but I'm kind of confused. In http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=140317 milestone3 v1.5.3 of pentaho demo was posted on April 25, 2007 but pentaho demo 1.2.1 (1.2.1GA) was posted May 7, 2007. Which version of the zip files should I download? I understand that v1.5.3 is newer than 1.2.1 but the post says the newest/latest is v1.2.1. I might have misunderstood the words 'milestone' and 'GA'.
    Please help. Thank you very much again.

Eric

I believe I gave you poor advice. Because you are new to Pentaho, I would recommend v1.2.1, as it has been more thoroughly tested. v1.5.3 might contain new features, but those features are currently under development and might not be complete.

Thank you very much!

Eric

I am also in a similar situation. I downloaded the source and compiled it and looking at different steps source code because I need to create few native plug-ins. You can also look under samples and there are a good number of transform examples there. I found the Spoon User guide quite useful and also the PDI-FAQ doc.

Hope this helps.

Default Documents

Hi Eric,
    I new user and I am interesting in Pentaho BI solutions.
    Please let me to know how can I obtain all pdf files and the guidelines that you recieived to start with this software.

Regards,
    AGCV

Quote Originally Posted by Etzapata View Post
    Hello World!
    I'm new here in Pentaho. I have downloaded the following pdf files:
    1. Getting Started With Design Studio 1.2.0GA.pdf
    2. Getting Started With BI Platform 1.2.0GA.pdf
    3. Creating Pentaho Solutions 1.2.0GA.pdf
    4. And etc. (a lot more pdf's)...

I was task to evaluate Pentaho for use of our company so after downloading the above mentioned pdf files (I have also downloaded a lot of .zip files), I don't know where to start. I wanted to know a lot about Pentaho because it seems so powerful when it comes to reporting (which our company needs).
    So, where do you suggest I should start reading? I don't want to just jump into topics and leave the important details behind.
    Please help.
    Thank you very much!

Eric

hi,

Here you can find all what you want about Pentaho.
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=140317

regards

H a b i b