Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Team development

Default Team development

Hi everybody,

we working as team and using kettle for our ETL jobs. Every team member is using the same repository which is stored in an oracle database.

What will happen if two team members are working on a job/transformation at the same time - are write/read conflicts prevented by spoon if both members use different user names as a login to the repository?

If not, will this be an upcoming feature in PDI 3.0 ? It's quite important for us since otherwise developing as a team seems to be quite risky...

BTW: How to create new users for the repository? I couldn't find anything concerning this in the documentation.

Thx,

Ben

Default team development

Hello,

I'm afraid using PDI 2.5, you have no checkout/checkin system, and only the database is taking care of concurrent access to repository. We have the same limitation for some customers, and a workaround is to have each developer using a specific sub-folder.

PDI 2.5 is missing fom those team development features, but this is a so powerfull ETL ...

To create a new PDI/Repository user, simply explore your repository, find the "user" entry (at the bottom of the interfaace) and choose "new user", using a right-click mouse.

Patrick

I very much doubt "team development" is going to be in 3.0... maybe once, but probably not short term.

Regards,
    Sven

Patrick, in your opinion, what would be the missing part that we would have to implement?
    Perhaps we can just make a locking system where a transformation can be locked by a user to indicate that the transformation is being worked with.

I think locking system with the possibility to check in/out jobs and transforms will do for a first version. I've have been working with Quest's team coding features (implemented in TOAD and SQL Navigator) and consider them as quite useful.

A full version control system support would be nice, but is in my opinion not necessary for the first approach...

Regards,
    Ben