Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle 3.0

Default Kettle 3.0

I have seen a couple of references to 3.0 and was wondering if there was a page that provided the 3.0 roadmap. It would be great to better understand when and what features are planned for 3.0. Thanks

Mainly it was an engine rewrite to make it faster. But in the mean-time other stuff got in/is getting in... to name a few:
    - Split of the ETL engine and the GUI parts
    - A nifty new way of loading steps and jobs: URL based, database based, ...
    - Variable support has been tweaked a bit
    - Lazy conversion of some data to make it even faster
    - Vamped up partitioning/clustering

You should/will be able to run jobs from 2.5, but internally some things have moved

No official roadmap. Qua timeline... my best guess would be august-september, between august and the end of the year depending on stability (M1 still has to be released, then I would expect an M2, RC1, and then GA).

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 07-17-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Thats great to hear. I am interested in the separation so that it can run within an application server. I did however notice a number of static variables in the code base. Are there plans to make it thread safe so that multiple transformations can execute concurrently.

As far as I know you can execute multiple transformations concurrently, KettleComponent already does it... which are the static variables you mention?

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks, is KettleCOmponent part of Kettle or do I need to download something else? If so what. Also is the source code for KettleComponent available? I am hoping that it is simply a service based bridge to Kettle - am I correct?

What I would like to do is have Kettle be made available as a a web service in an application server such as glassfish.

Thanks.

Thanks, is KettleCOmponent part of Kettle or do I need to download something else? If so what. Also is the source code for KettleComponent available? I am hoping that it is simply a service based bridge to Kettle - am I correct?
    Something else... the Pentaho BI platform sources probably. It allows to execute jobs/transformations via xactions.

What I would like to do is have Kettle be made available as a a web service in an application server such as glassfish.
    No such luck... not currently implemented. But you can always raise a CRQ of course.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks - I am prepared to do this myself and contribute it back. I simply wanted to know that this is possible (I have concerns about threading due to environment variables being static) and wanted some samples (such as the KettleComponent that you referenced).

Do you know if the KettleComponent supports running multiple jobs/transformations simultaneously and whether these are run in the app server or a new process is forked off for each job/transformation.

Finally, I was wondering if these questions are more appropiate for the mailing list. How do I join the kettle mailing list?

Thanks

- viraf

Thanks - I am prepared to do this myself and contribute it back. I simply wanted to know that this is possible (I have concerns about threading due to environment variables being static) and wanted some samples (such as the KettleComponent that you referenced).
    Environment variables are not that static anymore ;-)

Do you know if the KettleComponent supports running multiple jobs/transformations simultaneously and whether these are run in the app server or a new process is forked off for each job/transformation.
    They should run in parallel. But maybe you can try in the Pentaho platform forums.

Finally, I was wondering if these questions are more appropiate for the mailing list. How do I join the kettle mailing list?
    Borderline, you're probably not going to get more response on the mailing list. Most people on there don't use the xactons I belief. It's google mailing list.

Regards,
    Sven