Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Cannot use a variable in JNDI

Default Cannot use a variable in JNDI

I am using Kettle 2.5 both Jobs and Transforms. I am using Spoon to create my transforms and have created application server based code to run the transform. My problem right now is with Spoon.

I would like to put a variable in the JNDI Connection settings to that I can make it easier to move a Job and Transforms between production, test, development and customer site.

I have been able to use a variable in a JDBC Connection setting. For instance-
    Set the connection name, type (Oracle), access (Native), host name (localhost), database name ${testing}, port number (1521), user name and password. For testing sake, I just set the variable with Edit -> Set Variables.

I can Test the connection, Preview a table input and Run the Transform and everything is happy.

If I change the Connection settings to JNDI. Set the connection name, type (Oracle), access (JNDI), database name ${testing}. Change the value of the variable in Edit -> Set Variables (have tried the simple-jndi setting and the real full blown JNDI setting). Nothing works.
    Invalid JNDI connection${testing}: DatasourceHelper.ERROR_0001 - Invalid DataSource Name: ${testing}

Looks to me like the variable is not being evaluated at all. Am I doing something wrong?

I would prefer to use the JNDI settings since my code is living on an application server and I have it around. I don't want to hard code it since I want to be able to move between Spoon and my application server and then the other environments the transform will eventually move to.

Thanks!

Sandy

For the moment JNDI is not variable-sensitive, an oversight. Please raise a bug tracker... as soon as the site comes up again.

Regards,
    Sven