Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Using "Save as..." for job

Default Using "Save as..." for job

Hi everybody,

I just stumbled across a quite strange "feature":

I used "Save as..." to save a copy of a job and store it in another directory (e.g. "archive") using a different name. Now both versions of the job a stored in the other directory, not only the new version.

I would have expected to leave the old version unchanged, because now all other jobs that use the original job return an error because they can't find that job anymore!

This behavior is different as for transformations, for these there are no problems.

Looks like a bug to me?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Been playing a bit ... I would rephrase your problem. When you use "Save as" on a job in the repository, the job is properly saved under the new name but the original name also gets renamed to the new name.

Regards,
    Sven

hmmm... strange - for me the original name is kept but "moved" to the new directory...

Do you agree it's a bug? I would raise a bug tracker then...

Regards,
    Ben

ok ... maybe include step by step actions what you do.

Regards,
    Sven

OK, here's what I did:
    1. Creating a new job by clicking the new job button and adding some dummy entries.
    2. Opening job settings and renaming the job from Job1 to sth like Test_job
    3. Saving the job by clicking the save button, the job is now stored as Test_Job in the root directory of the repository.
    4. Now I clicked the Save As button and changed the directory to something else, in my case "examples". Now I got a message box saying "Test_job - File already exists! Do you want to overwrite it?". If I click yes, the file is saved as Test_Job in the directory examples, the original file in root directory is gone.
    5. If I repeat the step above and change not only the directory but also the filename (e.g. Test_Job2), the new file is properly saved in examples as Test_Job2 but the old one is also moved to the same directory as Test_Job, the entry in the root directory is gone again.
    6. Performing the same actions as described in step 1 to 4 with transformations will lead to the same results
    7. But performing the same actions as described in step 1 to 3 and 5 with transformations will lead to different results: the new file is saved as a copy of the old one where the original one isn't "moved" at all...
    What I really expected from the application is that the functionality Save As means something like saving a job or transformation as a copy of the original file without overwriting the original. Otherwise, how could you create a copy of an existing job/transformation?

In both cases - whether I choose a new filename or not - if I change to directory, IMHO there has no changing to be done to the original file when using Save as...

Please let me know if I'm just missing here something

Once again, thx for your support!

Regards,
    Ben

Till and including 4 everything is ok. The repository uses a same way of storing jobs as "other ETL tools" ... the directory is just an attribute of the job, the jobname is unique over all directories. so when you do a save as using the same name you actually just move the job (if you change directories).

For 5) I would expect the original job to remain the same, and a copy be saved in the right place.

I will check it out during the weekend, good desriptions of steps by the way ;-)... and you can make a bug tracker out of it at http://kettle.javaforge.com

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 07-18-2007 at 05:34 PM.