Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Proper use of Table output step

Default Proper use of Table output step

The documentation on the Table output step could use an example. I assumed it could be used for inserting rows into a table. The docs and step dialogue don't say a word about how you designate values to be placed in columns, as is done for the insert/update step dialogue.

So I assumed you had to have field names that matched the column names. But it is not working for me. I have been able to use the Insert/Update without any problem for my dimensions. But I thought I would use Table output for some logging purposes. Could someone explain how you use it?

Well, the fieldnames have to match

What do you get as error message

Regards,
    Sven

Default no output

I did not see any error. But the step seemed to take a relatively long time and it never inserted a row, though 5 were passed to it. Another factor is that besides having fields that matched with the columns, there were also additional fields. Could this have messed it up? I am inclined to just switch to insert/update, since I know that works, except I have not tried it with no matching fields.

Try to define error handling on the table output step... and see which rows are in error. I'm pretty sure the row and the table have to the "same". I still have a CRQ open to also support selecting which columns to pick in table-output (supporting current way, and the insert/update way).

Regards,
    Sven

Default table/field matching

Yes, I had a suspicion that any extra fields may be causing the problem. Thanks. Having Table output look similar to the Insert/Update step is the right thing to do IMHO.

lol... a CRQ has been open for that since march 2006, but we don't get around to it: http://www.javaforge.com/proj/tracke...e&task_id=1846

Regards,
    Sven

After you have defined the db connection and target table. right-click on your table output step. Choose "Generate mapping against this target step" from the context menu. In the mapping dialog, match up fields in your datastream with fields in your output table. When you are done and click OK, Kettle will have generated a new "select values" step for you. Drag the new step into your transformation just before the table output step.