Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Guide me about SOAP application

Question Guide me about SOAP application

Hi, I’m working in a famous software company. They gave me a project on simple object access protocol (SOAP). This is my first project so; I was little confused with this application moreover where can I cover the specification for SOAP application and SOAP encoding? Need suggestion thanks in advance.
    Last edited by finman255; 09-28-2007 at 02:21 AM.

LOL... never heard of searchtwice ... maybe you're looking at the wrong application ... for SOAP in general have a look at http://www.iona.com/solutions/opensource/prodsol/ . Kettle is an ETL application, it has 1 SOAP component but that's about it.

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 07-21-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Question want know about ETL application

Thanks for your suggested link....and one more think that I want know, what is mean by ETL application, SOAP compounds?

ETL: Extract/Transform/Load ... mostly associated with Datawarehousing. It can include SOAP, but SOAP is usually not the main part of ETL.

So if you need ETL, this is the place. If you want SOAP in general, this is not the place

Regards,
    Sven

Thumbs up

ETL: Extract/Transform/Load ... mostly associated with Datawarehousing. It can include SOAP, but SOAP is usually not the main part of ETL.
    Hi,Thanks for info about ETL .

Question Does oracle support ETL or not

Hi, I has query that, whether the Oracle support ETL process, if oracle supports ETL on what way it supports?

A little off topic but I'll bite... you have the Oracle database, and you also have an Oracle ETL tool OWB. They're not the same. OWB is Oracle database specific, and you either love it or hate it . From experience if you need to do a lot of processing outside of Oracle (e.g. files, other databases, ...) OWB doesn't seem to be a good choice. If all you want to do is load some data in Oracle it's an ETL alternative to check out.

For PDI Oracle is just a database, as long as a database has a JDBC-compliant driver you usually can make it work with PDI.

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 08-06-2007 at 06:44 AM.

Lightbulb

Hi, i have query that, what is full form of OWB for what it has been used.

Oracle warehouse builder... http://www.oracle.com/technology/pro...use/index.html

It's also an ETL tool like PDI. Oracle sales people do great stuff with it in their presentations... but it's well... Oracle centric
    If you only have to do things in Oracle (no file processing or so) and you have a team of veteran PL-SQL developers, it should work out pretty well.

Regards,
    Sven

Quote Originally Posted by sboden View Post
    Oracle warehouse builder... http://www.oracle.com/technology/pro...use/index.html

It's also an ETL tool like PDI. Oracle sales people do great stuff with it in their presentations... but it's well... Oracle centric
    If you only have to do things in Oracle (no file processing or so) and you have a team of veteran PL-SQL developers, it should work out pretty well.

Regards,
    Sven
    Hi,sboden thanks for guidances, i have the question what is the full form of PDI.

Full form? The version you download now (2.5.1 right now) is all you get. You can buy support for it via Pentaho but for the moment that's intellectual property protection and making sure your bugs get looked at first

There's no difference between "commercial" and "open source" version.

If it's just on the name... PDI is "Pentaho Data Integration... formerly known as Kettle". It's on the splash screen and the login screen of PDI.

Regards,
    Sven

Quote Originally Posted by sboden View Post
    Full form? The version you download now (2.5.1 right now) is all you get. You can buy support for it via Pentaho but for the moment that's intellectual property protection and making sure your bugs get looked at first

There's no difference between "commercial" and "open source" version.

If it's just on the name... PDI is "Pentaho Data Integration... formerly known as Kettle". It's on the splash screen and the login screen of PDI.

Regards,
    Sven
    Hi, sorry for asking about PDI full form, i didn't look on splash screen so only i asked the full form of PDI, sorry once again.