Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: DB connection issues/stuck

Question DB connection issues/stuck

Hi,
    I hope you'll be able to help me.
    I made some transformations with Kettle which worked really fine, but now i tried to change the DB. Connecting is possible (Test OK and "Get SQL select Statement..." also shows the tables from the DB) but when i choose a table (input) from the DB, Kettle get completly stuck after the confirmation if I want to have shown the field names. It doesn't depend on the answer. The old transformations still work, just the new one wont, and Kettle need to be restartet after each try. Any ideas how to solve this?

Database is MS SQL Server (JDBC)

Thx in advance

Regards
    fada

--------------------------
    Edit:
    Seems to be a problem with higher datasizes. Small table get imported aswell fast, but big tables (around 400 k blocks) seems to be the majorproblem. There is not even a response after 15 minutes (old tables with 10k had given at least after 2 seconds response about fieldnames). Wasn't Kettle made for such sizes of data? Is it maybe a memoryspace problem (or how do Kettle import the datas?). Or is it just normal that i have to wait such a long time? Questions over questons . Hope theres someone who could answer them .

Regards
    fada
    Last edited by fada; 07-25-2007 at 11:28 AM.

No idea... which version are you on... In one version all data was read to retrieve the fields. In 2.5 I would expect it to be fixed.

And which number do you have in "number of rows in rowset" ... ctrl-t in a transformation, miscelleneaous tab.

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 07-25-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Hi Sven,
    "number of rows in rowset" is 1000. I'm using Kettle version 2.5.0 (think its the most actual one beside the new 3.0 milestonereleases which shouldn't be used already now or am I wrong?)

I'm still confused why it's just dont work on bigger tables. I'll take a look on the datas, maybe i get a clue there .

Regards
    fada

Ok I tested a while, it works...after around 20 min waitingtime. I'm afraid to test it now on a table with 1 million blocks if he already needs such long time for 400k blocks .

Anyway its no networkperformanceproblem and no PC-Problem (works on more then 1 so "slow"). Maybe i can tell more soon.
    Stay tuned .

Cool An annoying behavior...

Hi there -
    I was actually browsing to see if this issue had been resolved. It doesn't appear as that is the case. I'm using build 25077 and still experience this issue. It's like it's doing a Select * and then saying.. oh yeah and by the way here is your meta info you requested 20 minutes ago.

Darrin

Well, it's working on my machine... how big did you set you Rowset size?

Regards,
    Sven