Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Modified Java Script Value

Unhappy Modified Java Script Value

After spending the last few hours trying to figure out how lpad and rpad work I am completley baffled.
    In my code I want to prepend a single character to the target string; hence lpad(target,"x",1). This provides a no change result and only when I increase the number of character parameter to 19 do I get a positive result of 1 "x" prepended to the string. It seems as though the interpreter is using 18 decimal = 0 as a base. This make no sense in hex or octal so I am lost.
    Then I try the sample script that is loaded with lpad and it seems that it uses a 12 deciaml = 0 as the base. rpad appears to work the same way. It has to be a configuration parameter somewhere but I have no idea where to look. Any help would be appreciated greatly as I am an old 'C' programmer trying to understand OO at the same time as digesting all the nuances of JAVA, the development tools, Pentaho and JavaScript and the frustration level is getting extremely high.
    Thanks

This is the code for lpad:

Code:
    	 public static String lpad(Context actualContext, Scriptable actualObject, Object[] ArgList, Function FunctionContext){

//(String valueToPad, String filler, int size) {
    	     try{
    	    	 if(ArgList.length==3){
    	    		 if(isNull(ArgList, new int[]{0,1,2})) return null;
    	    		 else if(isUndefined(ArgList, new int[]{0,1,2})) return (String)Context.getUndefinedValue();
    	    		 String valueToPad = Context.toString(ArgList[0]);
    	    		 String filler = Context.toString(ArgList[1]);
    	    		 int size = (int)Context.toNumber(ArgList[2]);

while (valueToPad.length() < size){
    	    			 valueToPad = filler + valueToPad;
    	    		 }
    	    		 return valueToPad;
    	    	 }
    	     }catch(Exception e){
    	    	 throw Context.reportRuntimeError("The function call lpad requires 3 arguments.");
    	     }
    	     return null;
    	 }
    And last week I put unit testcases in for lpad/rpad... they should work as expected.

Regards,
    Sven

The third argument is the size to pad to, not the times to append the second argument.

Regards,
    Sven

Smile Modified Java Script Value

Ah...to be brought in from the dark is wonderful.. Thank you very much. Still having some problems but I imagine it is just my not knowing the language.