Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Maximum number of "steps" per transformation

Default Maximum number of "steps" per transformation

Good Morning.

I am finally completing all development for my POC with Pentaho Data Integration. Right now I am doing most of my step in 3 transformations, and I would like some help.

Is there a maximum number of steps (joiners, javascripts, db lkps, etc) I should respect on a transformation?

I am asking this because my main transformation is kind big right now (15 steps) and will have almost 40 when I complete doing the small lookups on it (this is my fact load). Right now I am using a stand alone server, with no parallel option on using version 2.5 on a linux server, and I am getting a 2500 r/s what is really good, considering all the transformations I am doing.

Thks for all the help,

Reinaldo A Vasconcellos
    Brazil

lol... I normally used a maximum of 4 "steps" in DataStage job

In kettle... verification will take a lot longer, it will use more memory. So sometimes it's better to split up big transformations into smaller ones... personally I would not go over 30 a 40 steps but I've seen transformations of upto 100 a 150 steps.

Regards,
    Sven

This fact table of mine has a pk formed on 17 columns, and I need to do at least 17 lkps on then to translate legacy code into the dimensions keys.

Do you think I should do it on a single transformation ? If I do this in a step, I will have to write only once, and I will save lots of I/O (otherwise I would need to write the same table 17 times just to go changing the date, not to mention the amount of disk space I will need for this).

I can break this lookup part from the main transformation (it only has some filters and a javascript on it + the lookups).

I will post this tranformation so that you can give me a few tips on it (I am still learning the best practices on Pentaho Datas Integration)....

Thks for the help

Reinaldo A Vasconcellos

PS.: I only realyzed that I could create functions on Java Script at the very end and I did not rebuild my Javascript using it because of time. I will redo my javascripts as soon as I got some spare time (as the performance is doing ok, with 2500 r/s).
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's all hard to say... it all depends.

Regards,
    Sven