Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Spoon w/ Pentaho Solutionpath

Default Spoon w/ Pentaho Solutionpath

I found the tip to setup the pentaho.solutionpath, but it does not work as-expected within a Windows .bat file with Kettle 2.5.0.

Adding in any of these to the spoon.bat 'set OPT=' :
    -Dpentaho.solutionpath=c:\my\pentaho-solutions\
    -Dpentaho.solutionpath=\my\pentaho-solutions\
    -Dpentaho.solutionpath=file://c:/my/pentaho-solutions/

Causes Spoon to not start up. A workaround of manually setting the variables within Spoon on a per-job basis does work, but is very time consuming with multiple jobs.

Has anyone else experienced issues along these lines, or know of a possible solution?

thanks,
    -D

Why wouldn't it start up?

And if you want to use it as variable put it in the kettle.properties

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 08-01-2007 at 12:35 PM.

Aha! Thanks Sven, for windows, it looks like I need to create a c:/documents and settings/<user>/.kettle/kettle.properties file and add that as a param.

#pentaho.solutionpath - make sure you have ending slash!
    pentaho.solutionpath=c:/path/to/pentaho-solutions/

Unfortunately, I was hoping to have multiple .bat start scripts for different projects/different pentaho-solution locations.

At least this is enough to make it a little easier for working with Pentaho BI Platform file layout!

p.s. As to why it will not start up, I really can't tell - it just pops up the Command Prompt and then closes without ever starting (no splash screen). Putting a 'pause' at the end of the .bat file doesn't show anything. The server.log file never gets created either.

You can set the path to the Kettle "home directory"... this also works via the spoon bat script.

And the -D cannot be really used to make "kettle variables" I think.... so that tip was probably wrong.

Regards,
    Sven

Found the tip if someone can go back and edit/change/mark as inaccurate:

http://community.pentaho.org/techtip...o_solution.php

In hindsight the -D should also work, it just puts a variable in the "system properties" ... you can see the variable if you use ctrl-space in a variable sensitive textbox.

Regards,
    Sven