Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Generating new rows

Default Generating new rows

I have a transformation in which I perform a number of validation steps. If there are any errors, the input record gets saved to a table with an error_count attribute indicating the number of errors. Each associated validation error is stored in a separate error_log table.

How would one dynamically create rows in Kettle through JavaScript.

Thanks

Open up the FAQ (in your installation as under docs\english) and read the part on javascript... it's in there.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks - are your referring to 'Tips' or should I have a FAQ document? In the Tips it talks about making a clone of a row.

I need to potentially construct multiple new ROWS (with different fields than the input stream).

The document is called "PDI 2.5.0 - FAQ.pdf". It has examples how to make new rows and new fields.

But remember all rows flowing over 1 hop have to be of the same structure.

Regards,
    Sven

Sven, thanks for the response. I did find the section that details how to add a row. My next question is how do I delete a row from the input stream.

If I detect an error, I go down an error path in which I generate new rows (with a different format from the input row) for each error associated with the input. Given that all records on the output must be of the same format, I need a way to delete the input row.

Deleting is a problem as that's not under your control, so you can't.

You can use 2 output hops e.g. 1 for error rows, and 1 for normal rows.

Regards,
    Sven

Sorry - I do not understand what you are proposing. Could you provide an example. I have filtered rows in error to a JavaScript step. What next ?

I'm almost logging off... attach your transformation and I will try to see what you mean.

What I meant is following: you have normal rows and error rows in the end which are different in structure. So you have to have 2 hops, 1 for the flow of the normal rows, the other for the flow of the error rows. How exactly you do it depends on how your current job is.

Regards,
    Sven