Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Truncating table after copying the data to another table

Default Truncating table after copying the data to another table

Hi all,,

I have a requirement where I have to copy the contents of one table to another and delete the data from source table?

How could I achieve this in one transformation? I have looked at TableOutput and Delete transformation steps but not sure how I do the copy and the delete in the same transformation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Uppili

I would try your load of the table followed by a blocking step, followed by a delete step.

YMMV as since it's one transformation the original transaction may not have closed yet.

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 08-02-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks, Sven for the quick response. I was not aware of Blocking step, it is great to be aware of it now.

In the delete step, it does seem like the lookup keys are mandatory. How can I get around that?

Thanks again
    Uppili

just checked... delete step deletes, it does not truncate. The table output step truncates but only at initialization time.

So no luck today I think: maybe run a job with your real transformation, followed by a transformation with possibly either a table output step to truncate or in the worst case launch a script to do the truncate outside of PDI.

Regards,
    Sven

Sven,

I tried using a Blocking Step followed by an ExecSQLScript step to delete the records but for some reason it did not work.

So I took the other route of creating two transformations, one for copying and one for deleting.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards
    Uppili