Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: catastrophic problems deploying pentaho.war to tomcat 5.5.17

Default catastrophic problems deploying pentaho.war to tomcat 5.5.17

I built pentaho.war from pentaho_j2ee_deployments-1.5.5.747-0.zip with absolutely no troubles. The changes I made were to comment out the unused datasources and add my own to the web.xml file, as well as to provide an explicit path to the pentaho-solutions directory, which is specified as an absolute path.

When I deploy pentaho.war to tomcat (5.5.17), I first get 150,000 (!!! - and the vast majority contain nothing but whitespace) lines of log messages from an xml parser before eventually seeing a bunch of warnings about constructor arguments to beans which are coming from Spring. These appear to be just warnings. I eventually see the following exception:

17:49:54,186 ERROR [[/pentaho]] Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.pentaho.core.system.SolutionContextListener
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.util.StringTokenizer.<init>(StringTokenizer.java:182)
    at java.util.StringTokenizer.<init>(StringTokenizer.java:204)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.init(PentahoSystem.java:236)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.init(PentahoSystem.java:199)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.SolutionContextListener.contextInitialized(SolutionContextListener.java:117)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3729)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4187) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:709)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

which is then followed by the following:

17:49:54,191 DEBUG [[/pentaho]] Stopping filters
    17:49:54,191 INFO [[/pentaho]] Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext
    17:49:54,192 INFO [XmlWebApplicationContext] Closing application context [Root WebApplicationContext]

Even stranger - I quite rapidly start seeing that all log4j logging starts failing at some point during the application shutdown process with errors that always look like the following:

17:49:54,211 DEBUG [ManagerBase] Unloading complete
    log4j:ERROR Error occured while converting date.
    at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(AbstractStringBuilder.java:488)
    at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer.java:302)
    at org.apache.log4j.helpers.AbsoluteTimeDateFormat.format(AbsoluteTimeDateFormat.java:113)
    at java.text.DateFormat.format(DateFormat.java:314)
    at org.apache.log4j.helpers.PatternParser$DatePatternConverter.convert(PatternParser.java:436)
    at org.apache.log4j.helpers.PatternConverter.format(PatternConverter.java:56)
    at org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout.format(PatternLayout.java:495)
    at org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.subAppend(WriterAppender.java:292)
    at org.apache.log4j.WriterAppender.append(WriterAppender.java:150)
    at org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton.doAppend(AppenderSkeleton.java:221)
    at org.apache.log4j.helpers.AppenderAttachableImpl.appendLoopOnAppenders(AppenderAttachableImpl.java:57)
    at org.apache.log4j.Category.callAppenders(Category.java:187)
    at org.apache.log4j.Category.forcedLog(Category.java:372)
    at org.apache.log4j.Category.log(Category.java:864)
    at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.debug(Log4JLogger.java:137)

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve these issues?

--sam

After much fiddling, I am now getting one additional error line before the first stack trace, which looks like the following:

19:16:18,063 ERROR [Logger] misc-org.pentaho.core.system.SolutionContextListener: SolutionContextListener.ERROR_0001 - Solution path is invalid
    19:16:18,103 ERROR [[/pentaho]] Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.pentaho.core.system.SolutionContextListener
    at java.util.StringTokenizer.<init>(StringTokenizer.java:182)
    at java.util.StringTokenizer.<init>(StringTokenizer.java:204)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.init(PentahoSystem.java:236)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.PentahoSystem.init(PentahoSystem.java:199)
    at org.pentaho.core.system.SolutionContextListener.contextInitialized(SolutionContextListener.java:117)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3729)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4187) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)

However, the specified path is perfectly valid, correctly specified, has read and write permissions for ALL users, and aside from changimng the permissions on all the files to make them a+rw, the directory is identical to that which came out of the pentaho_solutions-1.5.5.747-0.zip file that I downloaded. I also attempted to specify it as a file:// URL, and that was rejected as an invalid path as well.

<context-param>
    <param-name>solution-path</param-name>
    <param-value>/Users/sgendler/Desktop/Downloads/tmp/pentaho-solutions</param-value>
    </context-param>

OK, even more interesting, if I put the pentaho-solutions directory next to my tomcat instance (something that is absolutely unacceptable in a production environment for us) and restore the web.xml file so that the solution-path contains just 'pentaho-solutions' it all starts working. So how does one specify an absolute path in that field? The documentation is very windows specific - 'd:\...\...\...' which is obviously not a valid unix path. So how, in linux/unix, can I tell pentaho to look elsewhere for my solutions?

--sam

OK. Furhtering investigation has revealed that pentaho is entirely ignoring the location of the solution repository thast is set in the web.xml. When I renamed the pentaho-solutions directory to simply 'solutions' and modified the web.xml to match, I went from a working system to a broken one. I then changed the directory name back, but left the web.xml file pointing to a directory called 'solutions' and, low and behold, everything started working again. This can only mean that pentaho has hardcoded the name and location of the solutions repository and is ignoring the values in my web.xml. I will now paste the content from the web.xml in my running system, just to prove that it is syntactically correct:

<context-param>
    <param-name>solution-path</param-name>
    <param-value>solutions</param-value>
    </context-param>

Of course, my actual solutions are in a directory called pentaho-solutions and everthing is working just fine, so there is adefinitely a problem.

I also searched for 'solution-path' elsewhere in the file and found nothing, so it isn't specified multiple times.