Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pass an environment variable argument to a shell script

Default Pass an environment variable argument to a shell script

I would like to be able to pass an environment variable argument to an 'execute shell script' command in spoon.

Is this possible? When I try to put in${MYVAR1}, it doesn't translate this to the variable value, but keeps the variable name.

As a work around, if I try to put the environment variable argument into the "Script File Name" entry box along with the variable name for the script to execute, the additional quotes added by spoon before execution conflict with the successful passing of the variables.

For example:

If
    ${PARSER_PROGRAM} = C:\Program Files\DataMystic\TextPipe\textpipe.exe

and if
    ${P01_PARSER_ARGUMENTS} =
    "/f=C:\FileTransfers\LifeScan-ACG\Code\Parser_TEST.fll"
    (with or without quotes)

If I put the series of variables into the field like such:
    ${PARSER_PROGRAM} ${P01_PARSER_ARGUMENTS}

Spoon translates this to the following:

cmd.exe /C "C:\Program Files\DataMystic\TextPipe\textpipe.exe "\f=C:\FileTransfers\LifeScan-ACG\Code\Parser_TEST.fll""

Which gives the error " 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,"

or I try to use prgra~1 instead of Program Files, I get the following...

Executing command : cmd.exe /C ""C:\progra~1\DataMystic\TextPipe\textpipe.exe \f=C:\FileTransfers\LifeScan-ACG\Code\Parser_TEST.fll""
    2007/08/08 12:10:42 - textpipe execution (stderr) - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Essentially, Spoon is just putting too many quotes around things that I want to execute... is there either a way to avoid this or pass environment variables as an argument?

Default What I want to have happen.

I forgot to lay out what I would essentially want to have execute if everything worked perfectly

cmd.exe /C "C:\progra~1\DataMystic\TextPipe\textpipe.exe /f=C:\FileTransfers\LifeScan-ACG\Code\Parser_TEST.fll /g /q"

that is the goal. Progra~1 or Program Files, I don't care... but I would like the paths to the executable and to the file to be environment variables.

in v3.0 you can use environment variables to pass stuff to a batch script. The spaces, I don't know right now. Other steps have similar problems with spaces.

What I take as rule is not to include any spaces in any of my paths, so I never have the problem you have.

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 08-08-2007 at 04:10 PM.