Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Group By Step

Default Group By Step

Hi, I am trying to extract records from an input stream that have the maximum value for a given field for a group. The output of the 'Group By' are the aggregates if include all rows is not selected.

As I want the record that has the max value for a field in a group, I enabled 'Include all rows'. (if multiple record in the group have the same MAX value then the first one should be returned. The problem that I am facing is that I dont know how to differentiate the rows. The document states :

Include all rows: Check this if you want all rows in the output, not just the aggregation. To differentiate between the 2 types of rows in the output, we need a flag in the output. You need to specify the name of the flag field in that case. (the type is boolean)

Where do I specify the name of the flag field. Is there an example that I can look at ?

I'd have to check... from memory it's either the one or the other, so no reason for an extra field. Documentation sometimes can be wrong.

Regards,
    Sven

I only want the row (all fields from the input) that has the maximum value for the field. Is that possible ? If all rows are included on the output how do I know which one has the maximum ?

They will all have the maximum ... filter on where the field you want == the new field (with the maximum).

Regards,
    Sven