Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Retrieve data from Web Server

Question Retrieve data from Web Server

I have a unique situation here..

From my kettle job I send an HTTP request to a web server, receive data back and write it to a text file. I am using Java Script to send and receive HTTP requests / responses.

Since it involves requests in the range of 100,000s, the jobs slow down very much. Here's the logic of what I try to do -

1) Read rows of data in text file
    2) Send HTTP request for each row read in previous step
    3) Receive HTTp response
    4) Write data received from previous step to text file

Text File Input --> Java Script (HTTP req/res) --> Text File output

Is there a way to improve on the performance of the job? Has anyone been in this situation before? If so, I would appreciate to learn from you...

Thanks in advance!!!!

Don't see anything immediately. You're dependent on the http at the other side. And if they do support multi-requests (doing more than 1 request in 1 go) it would take some fidgeting to get around Kettle's limitation of processing rows 1 by 1.

Regards,
    Sven

Sven,

Do you mean to say that some additional Java code would help process multiple rows at one go - in case I get bundled responses from the Http server?

Thanks for clarifying.

Singa

1) I don't expect the other side will have multi-requests
    2) If it would have, PDI only does single requests so you would be stuck there
    3) Put if you e.g. would output data in the right format and then use some external program to get multi-requests back it would probably be faster (but only if your server/web app supports it).

No quick fixes

Regards,
    Sven

how are you getting javascript to make HTTP requests, all attempts i have tried end in this error.

Error: JSRULE.ERROR_0003 - Javascript rule execution failed (org.pentaho.plugin.javascript.JavascriptRule)

You can use SOAP requests via Java Script. It works for me !!