Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho BI/Carte master/slave cluster and questions

Default Pentaho BI/Carte master/slave cluster and questions

Hey all,
    I'm reading up on the clustering support for Kettle (2.5.X series at the moment) and I just would like confirmation on what I understand (from an ignorance standpoint, I'm still catching up). If there are changes happening for 3.0 for some of these, please go ahead and list seperately:

*This will only work with Carte servers. I have not found a reference to using a Pentaho BI server as a master, but this scenario just may not have been discussed.

*Will only work with transformations, period. As I understand, if you have a transformation in a job, you can NOT run the job and have the transformation run clustered. Please let me know otherwise.

*Clustering will help processing large number of rowsets and/or time-consuming steps/transformations even if you do not take advantage of Database Partitioning.

*Other than the Carte documentation, there is no other resources regarding clustering (if so, please list them as I'm relying on posts in the forums and mailing lists).

*EDIT: Does using carte have certain repository requirements?

thanks,
    -D
    Last edited by dhartford; 08-14-2007 at 10:33 AM.

*This will only work with Carte servers. I have not found a reference to using a Pentaho BI server as a master, but this scenario just may not have been discussed.
    ok

*Will only work with transformations, period. As I understand, if you have a transformation in a job, you can NOT run the job and have the transformation run clustered. Please let me know otherwise.
    For now yes... job support was supposed to be in 2.5.0 but was moved

*Clustering will help processing large number of rowsets and/or time-consuming steps/transformations even if you do not take advantage of Database Partitioning.
    k

*Other than the Carte documentation, there is no other resources regarding clustering (if so, please list them as I'm relying on posts in the forums and mailing lists).
    Not that I know of for the moment

*EDIT: Does using carte have certain repository requirements?
    It's more push for the moment, than pull.

No repository requirements. What happens is that you design a transformation T to run in clustered mode on several carte slave servers.
    T then gets split into parts T-Master and T-Slave-1 through T-Slave-N.
    The posting of these derived transformations to the (carte) slave servers happens using XML only with HTTP servlets.

HTH,
    Matt