Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: loading Java objects in ETL

Smile loading Java objects in ETL

Hi all,

could any one pls tell me whether we can load java objects or sgml data in the ETL tool .

Thanks in advance

Java objects not... why would you want to load java objects?
    SGML small ones as String.

Both can be loaded using Binary data with a bit of tweaking the data. But I doubt it's a good thing

Regards,
    Sven

Doh! Sven posted just as I hit reply :-P

Java objects could be feasible with a step, but no such step exists. Of course, some limitations such as javabean java object, and only one class type (inheritance, maybe...).

SGML, as in HTML's parent, can be parsed with the XML Step to a certain extent (if you just want content between tags), or just as String if you want it all.

I wasn't thinking of loading a java object via a step... just treating it as a binary string and saving it as such. Same for the SGML, PDI supports XML for the moment but you can't just process any XML piece with it. Saving SMGL as pure binary would also work.

But maybe first another question... why would you want to save java objects or SGML in a database?

Regards,
    Sven

In our application, from the beginning there are some fields which are stored in objects and SGML. But today we want those objects to be in our DB so that we can produce effective adhoc reports.

Is this possible in any way? If yes, how can we do this, If no wht will be the alternative solution for this.

Please help me out in this as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

If you hammer a square block hard and long enough in a (smaller) round hole... eventually it will fit

But seriously e.g if you really mean storing objects instead of classes, you would have to write stuff to serialize objects, store them as binary data in the database. You would have to write java code for this, and in the end it would still not be ad-hoc searchable.
    Same for the SGML. You can put them as binary data in a database but that will not make them searchable. And processing SGML (splitting it up in parts) via PDI will also take custom coding.

So no I would not advise using PDI/Kettle for your kind of thing.

Aren't you looking at the wrong kind of tools... shouldn't you be looking into something as Hibernate or iBATIS?

Regards,
    Sven