Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Changing character encoding

Default Changing character encoding

I'm successfully integrating a xml file into a dbase table, except for one problem; the encodings are screwed;

I know that, in theory, the jdbc driver should do every translation, but it's not working. I also had no success in trying to supply a parameter to the connection;

Can I manually convert a string to some encoding? (eg: in Select Values). I know that I can choose the encoding in text output, but seems stupid to make a text output->text input just for a char conversion.

Thanks
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

On Oracle? Or if not on which database?

Sven

It's a dbase database with jdbc/odbc driver
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

Might need to pre-process the data to change the encoding.

I was looking at this earlier, but so far (cross fingers) have not had to solve that problem yet.

If you were interested in creating a Kettle step for this (and/or at least verify/validate a file meets an encoding requirement) that would be awesome!

My initial research, I was gonna look at using ICU4J or the built-in JDK support.

Don't know about dbase, but usually when your JDBC driver returns data in the wrong encoding you're pretty much stuck (you may be able to get some parts fixed, but never 100%). I know how it works with Oracle, have been bitten by it a couple of times.

Sven