Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: 1.6.0-RC2 Caches .xactions?!

Question 1.6.0-RC2 Caches .xactions?!

I was testing RC2 (from svn) and I've noticed the most annoying behaviour: .xactions seem to be cached, and everytime I make a change on the file.xaction it's only reflected *after* a repository refresh.

Is that supposed to happen? It slows down the development process a lot...
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

I think that is intended behaviour, at least I noticed it since I used the DB-repository option in 1.5.2.

Quote Originally Posted by ingo.klose View Post
    I think that is intended behaviour, at least I noticed it since I used the DB-repository option in 1.5.2.
    With DB repository that happened even on RC1; that's why I usually develop in file repository and only then switch to db repository.

But since RC2 I notice that even with file repository the actions are cached
    Pedro Alves

dmoran Guest

The design for the DB repository is to only store updates in the database after an intentional refresh. This is meant for production environments where you want much tighter control over changes. The filebased repository should always go to the filesystem for each execution and hence pick up changes on the fly. Some things like the action sequence name or icon changes may get cached in the UI layer but the action itself should always be pulled from disk. Also, new xactions do not always immediately show up th the PCI navigation but the correct URL should still load it.

I am pretty sure that I have been editing and running xactions w/o having to refresh within the last week or so. This may be a new bug. Please double check that your pentaho.xml did not accidently get set to DB repos and I will have someone check it out from the server side.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dmoran View Post

I am pretty sure that I have been editing and running xactions w/o having to refresh within the last week or so. This may be a new bug. Please double check that your pentaho.xml did not accidently get set to DB repos and I will have someone check it out from the server side.

Doug
    My solution dir (according to my very big tutorial ) is independent of the sources, thus pentaho.xml is not changed - unless this is the problem and there are changes in pentaho.xml that I don't have. EDIT - I checked and saw no relevant changes in /trunk's version of pentaho.xml

svn sw svn://source.pentaho.org/svnroot/pentaho/tags/build_1.6.0.775-RC1 -> and it works as expected

svn sw svn://source.pentaho.org/svnroot/pentaho/tags/*RC2 (or trunk) -> and it behaves like db rep (needs refresh)
    Last edited by pmalves; 08-23-2007 at 05:02 AM.
    Pedro Alves

Default Something did change

Hi All,

Yes, I made a change about a week ago that impacted the filebased solution repository caching. After some discussion with the architects we decided that we would add a flag to "turn on" caching for the filebased system and that the absence of the flag would give the old behavior. Reference JIRA case: http://jira.pentaho.org:8080/browse/BISERVER-244

Bill

The above JIRA case has been coded.

Bill

Great, thanks guys
    Pedro Alves