Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: reading txt files from the remote server

Default reading txt files from the remote server

Hi all,

is there any way to take the inputs from txt files which are located at the remote server?

Ftp them with the ftp job entry and process them locally.

Or if you can get at the files using VFS you should also be able process them remotely, I haven't done that yet and it will probably require some setup.

Regards,
    Sven

What is VFS?

and I looked into the Ftp job entry!
    where I have to specify the file name? I s it the remote Directory in which i have to give the text file name with the respective path?

For the ftp job entry... you can hover over the labels and you will get more description on a field... you need "wildcards" to specify the file.

For VFS... http://commons.apache.org/vfs/filesystems.html ... most of the steps in Kettle use VFS (where it make sense) in v2.5 .

I would still use ftp job entry, backup the file, start processing locally

Regards,
    Sven

Default what about accessing via UNC path ?

I also want to access remote text files, in my case they are on a Windows server, and I am on a XP client.

Using ftp is not an option, as we don't allow ftp in the Datacenter...
    Mounting a share permanently is not a favourite option...

Thus I added a UNC path like this in a text input module (2.5.0):
    \\mucs5062\CWDB\CiscoWorks.csv

Preview works perfect !

But when starting transformation, I get:

2007/08/30 13:42:28 - import CISCO UT csv file.0 - ERROR (version 2.5.0, build 25002 from 2007/05/04 00:20:04) : Couldn't open file #0 : \CiscoWorks.csv --> org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemException: Could not read from "file:///C:/CiscoWorks.csv" because it is a not a file.

Is some sort of quoting needed ?

Peter

There was a bug open on that once... there's a work-around I think but can't remember it now.

Regards,
    Sven

The default commons-vfs does not have SMB support built-in, so you need to re-compile the commons-vfs and add the JCIFS library to get access to SMB.

That is, if you use the SMB:// protocol.

You can use the normal file:// access approach for some window share access, if you are running on a windows desktop that is logged in to already authenticate/access the share. Remember your slashes! use "/", not "\" when working with VFS.

remote:
    --file://mucs5062/CWDB/CiscoWorks.csv
    local:
    --file:///c:/CWDB/CiscoWorks.csv

The safer approach, which you were mentioned you were hesitant to use, from a windows standpoint is to mount the remote share as a local disk, then access the local mount.

Sidenote: check your input step with regards to whether you are getting values from a previous step. The UNC versus the error are contradicting.