Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Bug in 2.5.1: ridiculously large preview does not work

Default Bug in 2.5.1: ridiculously large preview does not work

Hi

If you have the default number of preview records set to 100, make a preview, manually set the number of preview records in that preview to a ridiculously large number (eg 100000000000) instead of your default of 100, there will be no preview. Instead, the 'Select preview step' window appears.

Smaller values work, I don't know where the boundary is. I use this sometimes to just get all records for a preview, while normally having a small default number of rows.

This can be easily tested with a one-step transformation consisting of a 'Generate Rows' step producing a number of rows (I used 20'000).

Cheers,
    Tobias

Don't use ridiculously large numbers then ... it will probably fail internally because of exhausting memory.

Regards,
    Sven

You can say whatever you want, this is a bug and should be fixed.

Granted, it might not be very important, but ignoring it just like that is bad coding practice.

That said, I still think it shows up quite often. It's a common scenario to have a small default preview size set during development, but sometimes to want to see the whole dataset in a preview. Since I don't know beforehand how many rows I will get, what else should I do than choose a very large number, just to be on the safe side?

I don't agree it's a bug if we're talking about the same thing, maybe a small improvement is possible. We can probably show you a nice dialog that you've exhausted your memory, or cap the maximum number of lines to preview to a decent number (maximum 100.000 or so). It's supposed to be a preview, not a "give me the whole result set".

Short term solution: you know it won't work with big numbers, so stop using them. If you then still really want to see what's in your set... add a temporary extra text file output and look at the file.

Regards,
    Sven

Logged http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-118 maximum number that can be used is 2^31 -1.

It's no memory exhaustion, the integer range is just exceeded.

Thanks!

I should have explained that this is probably not a memory issue, because the preview shows completely if I chose a number that is just big enough to show all preview rows, but not ridiculously large.

In the future, should I create jira issues myself, or discuss them in the forum first?

In the future, should I create jira issues myself, or discuss them in the forum first?
    Choice is yours... you can create them yourself. You usually get better descriptions after a discussion, and then you can still enter them yourself. Most of the problems in solving JIRA's is not the problem itself, but finding out what people exactly mean.

If I see someone mentioning a bug in the forums and no JIRA is created, I create one myself lately

Regards,
    Sven