Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError at org.pentaho.core.audit.AuditHelper.audit(AuditHelp

Default java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError at org.pentaho.core.audit.AuditHelper.audit(AuditHelp

Hi all,

I did a new install:
    - RedHat 4 enterprise
    - Pentaho 1.2.1-625-GA
    - Jboss Portal 2.4.1

I did a ant build-all and deployed the ear file:
    /pentaho_j2ee_deployments-1.2.1.625-GA/build/pentaho-ears/jboss/portal/mysql5/pentaho.ear to jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho/

The jboss portal works just fine, and there is a tab for Pentaho. But when the tab is clicked, the page renders with errors. The side menu renders just fine, but I get java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError in every 'window' that's supposed to render on the page.

For example, in the default home page I get error lines in the log for the 'default.Pentaho.PentahoIntroWindow' as pasted below. The others I checked result in a similar error.

I'm new to jboss and Pentaho and don't really know where to start looking for a solution. Is something missing from the *.ear file? Should I add more .ear files from the build?

Thanks,

Peter

log snippet from server.log (complete error was to big for posting, see full error at: http://webdisk.onemanifest.net/pentaho_log.txt)

2007-09-02 16:26:10,865 ERROR [org.jboss.portal.core.command.ControllerCommand] Rendering portlet window default.Pentaho.PentahoIntroWindow triggered the following error :
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    at org.pentaho.core.audit.AuditHelper.audit(AuditHelper.java:78)
    at org.pentaho.core.session.BaseSession.<init>(BaseSession.java:51)
    at org.pentaho.ui.portlet.PentahoPortletSession.<init>(PentahoPortletSession.java:48)
    at org.pentaho.ui.portlet.BasePortlet.createUserSession(BasePortlet.java:300)
    at org.pentaho.ui.portlet.BasePortlet.getPentahoSession(BasePortlet.java:249)
    at org.pentaho.ui.portlet.BasePortlet.doView(BasePortlet.java:156)
    at javax.portlet.GenericPortlet.doDispatch(GenericPortlet.java:133)
    at javax.portlet.GenericPortlet.render(GenericPortlet.java:306)
    at org.jboss.portal.portlet.container.PortletContainer.invokeRender(PortletContainer.java:518)
    at org.jboss.portal.portlet.container.PortletContainer.dispatch(PortletContainer.java:434)

<snip>

Is pentaho-core-*.jar in the EAR?

Quote Originally Posted by mlowery View Post
    Is pentaho-core-*.jar in the EAR?
    Yes it's in /lib

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by oneman View Post
    Yes it's in /lib

Peter
    in fact, the class is there:

pentaho.ear/lib/pentaho-core-1.2.1.jar/org/pentaho/core/audit/AuditHelper.class

.. and if I read the log correctly (please let me know if I'm wrong) the preceding classes
    org.pentaho.core.session.BaseSession.<init>(BaseSession.java:51)
    org.pentaho.ui.portlet.PentahoPortletSession.<init>(PentahoPortletSession.java:48)
    org.pentaho.ui.portlet.BasePortlet.createUserSession(BasePortlet.java:300)
    org.pentaho.ui.portlet.BasePortlet.getPentahoSession(BasePortlet.java:249)
    org.pentaho.ui.portlet.BasePortlet.doView(BasePortlet.java:156)

were found. At least I thought the error resulted from the first class in the list and the rest is the chain of classes that called for the 'missing' class. So I think it should find the last class file as well since they're in the same location. It seems very unlikely that the .audit method would be missing...

I'm at a loss really. Rebuild the .ear tried it under /jboss/server/default/deploy, under /jboss/server/default/deploy/pentaho nothing works. The file is owned by jboss and chown-ed 755.

Any ideas?

Peter

I am also facing the same problem. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Thanks
    Srikar.

OK. I found solution to mine. I am a beginer on Pentaho. Since i dont have much knowledge, and i am just trying to deploy the war file given by my team, I din't know that, the Pentaho.xml file needs to be there in system directory.

My Setup is,
    JBOSS 4.0.5, JDK 1.4 and Myeclipse.

So when i checked if the pentaho.xml in the system directory, which i specified in web.xml, this fiile was missing in the directory and hence i am getting this error.

As soon as i placed this fiile in the system directory, things started working fine for me.

Thanks
    Srikar.