Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to load only the Maximum value from a set of records?

Default How to load only the Maximum value from a set of records?

Hi All,

I am loading data from a XML file to a Database table. I want to give the following Check while loading:
    Only the record with maximum date of birth should be loaded. Other records I need to reject or move to another table.

I did sort row and group by for the column DOB and then checked the result from Group by with the stream field of DOB using Filter. After that, I branched the conditions with two inserts. But I am not getting the other values from the files to load in to the table.

Following is the error message I get:
    2007/09/05 15:57:22 - Top Insert.0 - ERROR (version 2.5.0, build 25002 from 2007/05/04 00:20:04): Field [Brand_id1] is required and couldn't be found!

Is there any way to do this? Please help.

Thanks,
    Darius

Easiest is a sort and then only pick the first row... a variation of your yesterday's question.

For your error ... preview each step before you hit the problem, you will probably the Brand_id1 field is not in your input

Regards,
    Sven

What if we want to load only the values less or greater than the average of a column? In this we need to Group By it riht? I am finding problem in group by. Could you help in that?

Thanks,
    Darius

Group by works more or less like an SQL group by, you want to have a kind of "having clause" which is not in.

What you could do is calculate the average seperately, join that with the regular input and then select only the rows above or below your average.

Regards,
    Sven

How could i calculate the average seperately? If i do it in the steam, rest of the values are not getting populated. I am getting only the group by values as you said. Please give an example if possible.

Thanks,
    Darius

Calculate in 1 stream the average (which should then be 1 row).
    Join that stream with the normal stream use the cartesian join step.

Regards,
    Sven

Thumbs up

Thanks Sven, Its working...

Darius

Easiest is a sort and then only pick the first row... a variation of your yesterday's question.

I saw this reply can you please give me a code sample on how to do this.

Thanks