Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: SMTP email settings

Question SMTP email settings

I've had a very interesting situation this week. I am currently using the 1.5.5 version of Pentaho, which has given me no trouble up until now.

Earlier this week, the data server that Pentaho connected to for the reports I have available crashed. I didn't realize that it would cause such an issue with Pentaho, but the next day when I got the data server back up and running, I went to check on the Pentaho server and found that it had rebooted at some point.

Logging back into the server and starting the system up went as normal, but the email component no longer works... I received the following error whenever I try to send an email out:
    Error: Email.ERROR_0011 - SMTP send failed: [*email omitted*] - javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: ahospentaho, port: 25; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: connect (org.pentaho.plugin.email.EmailComponent)
    I have tested the smtp server, which in this case is IIS 5, and it works fine. Any ideas on troubleshooting/solving this problem?
    The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.
    Anonymous

Default Fixed

For some reason, I had to change the Port from 25 to another number - I picked 35, tested it on a whim and it is now working.

My main concern in this situation is that I hadn't changed anything about my connection - so if anyone has any ideas as to why this occurred I'd appreciate them so I can try and prevent this from happening again.
    The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.
    Anonymous